The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer account to new server creates Remote MySQL entries

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Metro2, Apr 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm posting this here because I don't want to waste cPanel Support's time by submitting a ticket about it just in case this is expected behavior, and hoping someone can confirm.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design in newer versions of cpanel, but...

I recently transferred all of my customer accounts from old servers to new servers in my WHM DNS Cluster, and I just discovered that for every single account transferred to a new server WHM / cPanel creates Access Host entries in each user's cPanel > Remote mySQL section.

For easy example - let's say there are 2 servers in the WHM DNS Cluster with the following hostnames and main IP's:

oldserver.example.net (123.123.123.123)
    newserver.example.net (456.456.456.456)

We can re-create this issue by following these steps:

1. Use the WHM Transfer Tool to transfer each account from oldserver.example.net to newserver.example.net

2. Let DNS changes propagate.

3. Terminate each account from oldserver.example.net (but use option "Keep DNS Zone" so as not to destroy the DNS Zone file on the new server).

4. Remove oldserver.example.net from the WHM DNS Cluster and tell the data center to reclaim the old server.

The end result is - even though the old server is now completely gone, the cPanel > Remove mySQL > Access Hosts list for each account now shows the following two entries that should not be there / did not exist before the transfer:

oldserver.example.net

And so right now I'm logging in to each user's cPanel and removing those entries (that were created by the WHM Transfer Tool process) from each account one by one.

And BTW - both the old server and new server are running the same exact versions of cPanel - 11.54 release tier, auto-update enabled.

Also BTW - it happens regardless of whether I use the "Transfer Multiple Accounts" or transfer them one by one.

I've done a lot of old server to new server migrations with the WHM Transfer Tool in the past and this has never happened before.

Have I discovered a bug? Or is this for some reason by design with recent versions of cPanel?

I hope someone here sees this and knows the answer, thank you for any replies.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm unable to reproduce this behavior with the steps you listed when transferring accounts on cPanel version 56 (both source and destination). The end result is the only access hosts authorized on the destination server are that server's IP addresses. Are you still noticing this behavior on cPanel version 56? If so, could you open a ticket so we can review your system and determine what's different compared to our testing environment?

Thank you.

3. Metro2

Metro2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi cPanelMichael,

Thank you for the reply. I already completed all of the migrations and shut down all of my old servers, so I don't know about 11.56. I did all the migrations on WHM 11.54 servers and I don't happen to have a test account handy to try it on 11.56.

The only factor that I would consider even remotely (no pun intended) unusual would be that the old servers were running RHEL 5 and the new servers are running CloudLinux 6.7

Other than that this was a typical migration that I do when I buy new servers and phase-out old ones.

If I get a chance and find an account that I can test with this week I'll transfer from one 11.56 box to other 11.56 box, both running CL 6.7 and report back here in this thread what happens.

cPanelMichael likes this.