The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer Account used old backup instead of current data

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikelegg, Jun 27, 2011.

1. mikelegg

mikelegg Well-Known Member

I transferred an account from one 11.30.0 server to another last night and just received a call from the customer to say that his site has reverted back to a version that is a week old.

It seems on initial investigation that the transfer didn't use the current data in the account but instead used an existing backup.

Is this a new behaviour?

#1 mikelegg, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. mikelegg

Digging a little further... it looks like it 's just the database that is old, the files are up to date.

3. mikelegg

The account backups don't include the current database either, so I'm trying to restore the database by copying all of the MYD, MYI and frm files from the master MySQL backup, but it causes the site to display "Incorrect key file for table" errors.

When I run a DB repair in WHM it removes all of the tables that I've just restored.

Is there a trick to restoring DBs from the MYD, MYI and frm files?

4. mikelegg

I made some progress by stopping MySQL before copying the files, but now when I try to access the tables via phpMyAdmin I get errors like "Can't find file: './username_joomla/jos_hikashop_product.frm' (errno: 13)", but the file that it reports as missing is actually there.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I am not aware of any open cases regarding the packaging of old databases during cPanel transfers or backups. If you can confirm this issue still occurs on this or other accounts, please do open a support ticket via:

Submit A ticket

In regards to your database restore question; rather than manually copying the database files to the destination server, you should create a backup of the database on the source or MySQL backup server using the "mysqldump" utility. For example, you can run the following command on the source server:

Code:
    # mysqldump database_name > /path/to/database.sql
    Then, transfer the .SQL file to the destination server, and import it into the database via:

Code:
    # mysql database_name < /path/to/database.sql
    Thank you.

6. mikelegg

Hi Michael

This was the last of a bunch of accounts I had to migrate. The others appeared to migrate without any problems. The only thing different about this account is that it was quite large (over 3Gb).

It might have just been one of those weird things that happen from time to time.

7. mikelegg

I just did another backup and noticed these lines print to the screen ...

pkgacct -- attempting to use daily backup to create a account package
    pkgacct using daily backups to decrease package time

I've always relied on my belief that a cPanel transfer copies EXACTLY what's in the account at the time of the transfer. But this seems to indicate that it grabs the latest daily backup which could be many days old depending on which days the daily backup is set to run.

Am I understanding that correctly or is there more to it?

8. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you have "Use Incremental Backups speed-up:" checked in WHM > Transfers > Copy multiple accounts/packages from another server area, then the incremental daily backups (if available) will be used rather than copying the existing account. This is used to speed up transfer packaging time. This option should be unchecked if you do not wish to utilize those incremental backups.

9. mikelegg

Ah I see ... thank you

10. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

We've had the same issue. The option "Use Incremental Backup - SpeedUp" is checked by default which is really bad. While it saves on time, it causes the transferred site to be of old information.

I think that option should be changed to off by default with more description on its function. I never connected the two names together (Incremental Backup speedup) with the actual Incremental Backup on the server!

11. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It is a sound suggestion to have this unchecked by default. As such, would you like your post to be moved to the feature request area?