The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer accounts to new server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drose25, Jan 14, 2003.

1. drose25

drose25 Well-Known Member

I want to transfer accounts in a reseller package on server A to a new dedicated server without inconveniencing my clients with downtime or updating their nameserver information.

I had planned on re-creating the reseller account on the new dedicated server, transferring the accounts from Server A to the new machine, and then changing the nameserver IPs for my reseller account at my registrar to point to the new machine.

Unfortunately, WHM won't let me assign IPs to my nameservers since they already point to IPs on server A. I can change IPs at my registrar now, and the create the nameservers once the change has taken effect, but this creates the possibility for downtime.

Is there any way to manually setup a nameserver and assign it an IP so that it will be ready when the switch is made?

Thanks.

2. powerhouse

powerhouse Well-Known Member

Here is how I do it when I am moving clients from one machine to another to make better performance....

First Create their new account on the new server, using the account copy feature. Make any manual changes you need that did not get done during the transfer.

Then you HAVE to modify the nameservers. Offer to do it for them. They MIGHT be able to create you a sub_user account since your their host, and give it ONLY nameserver modification capability. Then they can remove it after your finished. If they trust you, they can leave it as all you'd be able to do is change their nameservers.

Once their new nameservers are propagated, then cancel their old account....

The reason you have to do that is because even if you just change the IP address, but keep the SAME nameservers, you have to at LEAST go change them to the same thing, that will update the registries IP address, where it is pointing the nameservers to.

that is the only way I have found to do it without any down time at all.

If you find another way, please post it for our benefit.

Thanks.
    Richard