The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer accounts using Clustering - Need step by step

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Silver_2000, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Silver_2000

Silver_2000 Well-Known Member

I have used the transfer accounts function in the past and had decent success with migrating accounts over a couple days ( to minimize load from disk io )
    Once the account data is all on the new server change the DNS and shut down the old server. But that has a number of problems.

I see that I could use the cluster DNS option and or the express transfer option. But neither is well documented and Im not sure which steps to do when.

I need some detail

Im moving from a old server to new server at same host both running WHM 11.24
    The domains are all pointing to my custom name server that is currently on the old box.

I will migrate the smaller accounts using the transfer accounts function, but the bigger accounts will take forever, and while they are moving the old server load is so high its unusable, so I usually move the largest data folders and or SQL databases of the large accounts outside the home dir then run the transfer on them, then rsync the moved data back to the right folder on the new server. Once all the accounts are moved then I either change the IPs of the custom nameservers to ips on the new server or since they are in the same data center I could just move the old nameserver IPs to the new box.

My questions are how does the clustering dns help this ? What are the steps needed to set it up and then take it down once the move is done.

How does the express transfer function work ? What do I need to do to take advantage of it ? What will it depend on to work ?

If the domains are all currently pointing to ns3.hostdomain.com and ns4.hostdomain.com how does the clustering or expresss transfer help avoid the confusion involved in the migration ? Do I have to manually move ns3 and ns4 to the new box after I migrate the accounts ?

Thanks in advance
    Ive serached here for about 2 hours and there is almost no info on either function

2. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    IMO if you clustered the server it would make the xfer harder, if you use (I think it is the express) once the account is xfer'ed it will use the old server to point to the new server. Clustering might help somewhat with the nameservers but I would leave the nameservers pointed to the old server, move them pointing the DNS on the old server to the IP of the new server then once done change the nameserver IP'sm no downtime this way.

3. Silver_2000

Silver_2000 Well-Known Member

Ive migrated about 40 of the smalller accounts using the express transfer - works pretty good - It would be nice if Cpanel would actually document it but oh well

The express transfer is MUCH easier on the load of the server than running the pkgacct script - the md5 checksum after the pkgacct script sent the load of my server to 80 - Never seen 80 before -

4. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, exactly how we would do it. Glad it is working out for you.