The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer all accounts (and main IP)

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by JacobHansen, Apr 17, 2015.

1. JacobHansen

JacobHansen Member

Mar 20, 2013
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

I need to transfer all the accounts of a cPanel server to a new server. The server has about 250 accounts and 325gb worth of data. The servers should have a local connection (connected to same switch/router) and with at least a 1gbit connection (probably more). Both servers CPU is a e3-1270v2. There is a quite big proportion of domains using external name servers. As a result thereof, if it is possible, it would be best to retain the main IP of the server.

I have been looking at the this guide ( but have a few questions.

1) Given the DNS cluster is not setup on the new server until after all accounts have been transferred and the main IP have been switched over, will the websites load on the old server until step 5 and step 6 in the guide (changing IP of sites on new server and configuring DNS cluster), or will the old server change the IPs to the temporary IP of the new server on the nameserver cluster (if I do not pick express transfer) ? Would this also allow me to do some test transfers without impacting the sites on the old server?

2) Does anyone have an idea of how long a transfer of this amount of accounts (250) and data (325gb) would take? Are we talking a couple of hours, or rather days?

2.1) Do you think the transfer will take too long for it to be acceptable to load the websites off the old server for the full duration of the transfer? (which could lead to old/missing data, especially e-mails)

3) What would be the most optimal choice for simultaneous transfer and restore threads? If I choose 7 transfer jobs, does that limit the server to use 7 out of 8 in server load (quad core CPU with HT) or is this irrelevant? The transfer will happen in extreme off-peak time so degradation in server performance is not too important.

4) Is following the guide the best way to do the transfer given I want to move over the main IP as well?

5) The guide mentions reinstalling SSL certificates. Does the cPanel account transfer not copy these over?

6) Would it be possible to do the account transfer slowly to the new server a few days before the server "move date", and then do an incremental transfer? Would this make the transfer time on the "move date" shorter, or is it actually slower due to having to compare files etc?

Many thanks, your help is much appreciated.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

1. The domain names will not resolve to the new server until you update the name server IP addresses at the domain registrar (assuming you do not use the express transfer option).

2. It depends on the network speed and hardware used on each server. You may want to transfer a few accounts as a test to see how long it takes.

3. You will see test under these options that advise you how many threads to use. EX:

Because your system has 1.08 GB of available memory and 1 CPU, you should use no more than 1 transfer thread to avoid severe performance degradation.

4. Yes, this guide is still suitable.

5. The SSL certificates should copy over, but you should still use the install option to enable SSL on the accounts post-migration.

6. There's no support for this type of transfer, but you are welcome to do so manually if you prefer. It's likely difficult because you have to account for not just changes to files, but also changes to databases.

Thank you.