The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer files from Cpanel to Cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silvers24, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Silvers24

Silvers24 Registered

Ok I notice hosts can do this if you buy a diff. Host & the host your going from has cpanel.
    They say they can transfer everything if I have a Cpanel, well how do I do this on my own?
    I know its possible because someone did it from my Cpanel.
    THanks.

2. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

It's real easy! Simply go to to the "Transfers" section of your NEW WHM & select the "Copy an account from another server" or the "Copy multiple accounts from another server". Then, supply the info of the account & root password on the source server & copy away!

The script will automatically change your DNS entries for the domain to the new server's DNS entries, so there's really nothing to do afterwards but update your domain name's NS records to point to the new server.

As a side note, if you don't have root access on the source server, then you can select the "Copy an account from another server with account password" option.

I've done this many, many times in my recent years of web host hopping, so feel free to let me know if you're having problems.

Matt

P.S. -- The only thing you must consider when doing this is that it usually takes overnight for the DNS records update throughout the entire internet. During this time, any e-mail being sent to the old server won't show up on the new server once the records have changed. To prevent loss of e-mail, I highly recommend updating the MX records to the domains you're transferring to point to the new server BEFORE you do the transfer!

#2 kemis, Aug 6, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  3. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

kemis: I think Silvers24 is to saying he has access to cPanel only, and not WHM. Your instructions are quite correct, but does not solve his delima.

Silvers24: If you supply your new host with the FTP login details of your existing accounts, they can transfer them one by one. That's the part that kemis wrote As a side note, if you don't have root access on the source server, then you can select the "Copy an account from another server with account password" option.

4. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

Thanks, Stefaans! I think you're right.

Wow. I just had a head trip back to a year ago before I had root access. I came here looking for help, but everything everyone told me required root. It was so frustrating that I eventually made the jump to a VPS. Now here I am giving the "root" instructions. :)

Matt