The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer from cPanel MySQL 5.0 to cPanel with MariaDB 10 - old passwords

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by hicom, Jan 3, 2016.

1. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

We want to transfer hosting accounts from cPanel server running MySQL 5.1.72 with Old-Password-MySQL4.1 option turned on to a new server running MariaDB10.

We noticed if we do a transfer of a site, the passwords no longer work and need to be manually reset which will cause huge delays and alot of support requests.

What is the best way to upgrade the passwords? Should we upgrade to MySQL 5.5 or 5.6 on the old server and deactivate 4.1-passwords ? Then transfer to MariaDB 10 ? or are there other options?

Thanks

#1 hicom, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, I suggest upgrading MySQL 5.0 on the source machine first (version 5.5 is suitable), and ensuring passwords work as expected. Then, transfer the accounts to the destination server after that's completed.

Thank you.

3. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

So if we keep the option Pre-Password 4.1, and upgrade to MySQL 5.5 , this will automatically convert it to the new password hash?

Afterwards, we can do transfer from MySQL 5.5 pre-4.1 Passwords to MariaDB server and the passwords will convert?

Thanks

4. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

Hi , thanks for the info. I've examined the documentation but unsure if the process is applying properly.

Here is the environment we have:
    cPanel 11.52.4
    MySQL 5.1.73-cll

In my.cnf we have:
    old-passwords = 1

In the mysql DB, we have many passwords using 16-characters, and some using 41-characters with * at both ends.

((We prefer to update all these passwords to the new format, without having to upgrade MySQL itself, or ask the user to give us the passwords.))

In the mysql DB, the table "Plugin" is empty, but there are no columns called "Plugin" under the users table. This is where I'm primarily lost because there is no Plugin column under mysql.user .

Any opinion on this is appreciated

5. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

Just an after thought. Regardless of the above, there seems to be no way to re-hash the passwords or upgrade the hash without knowing the password.

6. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

We have tested changing the password through cPanel, but it is always the same password type 16-characters. Do we need to remove old-password from my.cnf so cPanel hash the password using 41-characters?

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, this is correct. There's an older thread that you may find helpful:

MySQL 5.0 / 5.1 and doing away with "old style passwords"

Thank you.