The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transfer from redhat to freebsd ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by icehosting, Mar 21, 2004.

  1. icehosting

    icehosting Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2002
    Messages:
    60
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Hi,
    I have one redhat 9 server.
    I want to buy a new and transfer the account here. If i buy a freebsd 4.9 box, can i transfer the accounts?
    Is any problem to transfer (via WHM) accounts from redhat to freebsd?
    Thanks a lot for the help.
    Regards,
    Christos
     
  2. dandanfireman

    dandanfireman Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

    Joined:
    May 31, 2002
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    You can transfer from redhat to freebsd. However, it has been my experience with the transfer that you will lose your database permissions. Cpanel has suggested a very rudimentary hack to help work around this, but I am hoping for a fix to a "problem" they haven't yet agreed is a problem.
     
  3. icehosting

    icehosting Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2002
    Messages:
    60
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Thanks for the answer.
    And where i can find this hack?
    Is there any people who have transfer complete the accounts from redhat to freebsd and how?
    thanks
    Christos
     
  4. SonServers

    SonServers Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2001
    Messages:
    94
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    I just completed a move from RH 7.2 to FreeBSD 5.1.

    I had the database issue but I opened a ticket and got a response with the solution. I followed their instructions which worked fine. They told me that the latest builds have fixed that problem.

    Every FrontPage site has ended up with broken extensions. Simply reinstalling extensions from the user's Cpanel fixed them. Page counters did not get copied over. I copied over the data files from the old server and then they all came back. A few sites and email accounts needed the passwords reset.

    It seems there were lots of little things but nothing too major.

    I had lots of time and just under 200 accounts so I moved the accounts one at a time.

    There is a good thread here on moving accounts. Setting all the TTL's on the domains to 900 at the old server a couple days before beginning was great. I could transfer one account, update the IP on the old server DNS and within 15 minutes, they were hitting on the new server. I transferred a few, checked them out to make sure all was ok, then moved some more. Doing it that way meant I was able to catch and fix most problems before the users noticed them.

    Moving 20-30 accounts a day helped me to not have so many of the little issues all at once. Again, I had the time to do it that way and it meant the least impact on users. If you don't have the time or have hundreds of sites to move, maybe moving all at once is the better option.

    Hope that helps.
     
Loading...

Share This Page