Transfer hosted domain to addon domain?

distrocost

Registered
Oct 25, 2019
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I have 2 hosting plans and 2 domains all from the same provider. I want to transfer one domain to be an addon domain on the other. The website is very simple - a handful of html pages, no database to transfer. I don't need to transfer what's there currently and I can just re-upload the files if needed. I have pretty much no knowledge about DNS stuff.

When I try and set up the addon domain I get the following message: A DNS entry for “mydomainname.com” already exists. You must remove this DNS entry from this server or all servers in the DNS cluster to proceed.

Do I need to delete the Zone Records for the domain that I'm trying to convert to be the addon? I presume the process for creating the addon domain is trying to create these again. These include the following:
mydomainname.com
mail.mydomainname.com
www.mydomainname.com
ftp.mydomainname.com
mydomainname.com
cpcontacts.mydomainname.com
webdisk.mydomainname.com
cpcalendars.mydomainname.com
cpanel.mydomainname.com
webmail.mydomainname.com
whm.mydomainname.com
default._domainkey.mydomainname.com

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
You wouldn't be able to move the domain to an addon domain while it still exists on another account. To do this in a way that will work you might create a backup of the account, remove it, add the domains on to the new account and then manually move the site files to the new account

distrocost

Registered
Oct 25, 2019
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
You wouldn't be able to move the domain to an addon domain while it still exists on another account. To do this in a way that will work you might create a backup of the account, remove it, add the domains on to the new account and then manually move the site files to the new account
So just cancel the hosting for the second account and that will delete all DNS entries?

I don't need to back anything up or copy it over. Its like, 10 basic html/css files that I can just upload again.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
So just cancel the hosting for the second account and that will delete all DNS entries?

I don't need to back anything up or copy it over. Its like, 10 basic html/css files that I can just upload again.
Yea if that's the case, when you remove the account you can choose whether or not to keep the dns entries, in this case I would definitely choose to remove them along with the account.

distrocost

Registered
Oct 25, 2019
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Yea if that's the case, when you remove the account you can choose whether or not to keep the dns entries, in this case I would definitely choose to remove them along with the account.
Thanks. The moderator took ages to approve my reply here so I ended up just going for it, deleting all the dns entries first, then cancelling the hosting and then creating the add on domain. It seems to be working fine.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Thanks. The moderator took ages to approve my reply here so I ended up just going for it, deleting all the dns entries first, then cancelling the hosting and then creating the add on domain. It seems to be working fine.
I am the moderator in this instance :)

Please note that there is no guarantee that there will be 24 hour assistance here.

I am glad it worked out for you.

distrocost

Registered
Oct 25, 2019
UK
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Ah ok, I understand. I don't remember being on a forum where each post has to be approved but I guess it's because I'm a new member. Apologies for the frustration.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Ah ok, I understand. I don't remember being on a forum where each post has to be approved but I guess it's because I'm a new member. Apologies for the frustration.
They don't, it's just the first 5 that get that, after that you shouldn't have that occur any longer :)