Transfer Incremental Backups to Remote FTP

jasons

Registered
Mar 24, 2004
I perform incremental backups of my server on a secondary hard drive, as WHM will not allow incremental backups to a remote FTP. For added security, I recently purchased a remote FTP to store copies of the backups. My problem is, how am I to go about transfering the files stored on my server to the remote FTP (I am running a Linux based system)? I know that programs exist to transfer files, but I cannot find one to transfer directory structures as well. The size of the backups is about 50-60GB. Additionally, is there a way to make sure that as the transfer is taking place, it is not overloading the server?

brianoz

Mar 13, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Moving a 50-60Gb backup over the network isn't a fantastic idea, it will take ages, unless you're local to the FTP box you've bought.

The best way to do it is probably to tar the directory hierarchy up into a compressed tar image. (Scp will take forever on a backup of that size.) Once you have the backup, then you scan scp or ftp it to your remote box in one hit. This isn't exactly a trivial exercise as far as writing shell or PHP code is concerned, so good luck! :)

(The good news is that compression will probably make the backup a lot smaller, maybe even 80% smaller if it is mainly web pages and databases and logs).

dgbaker

PartnerNOC
Sep 20, 2002
Toronto, Ontario Canada
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Try this for using rsync (much better than SFTP or SCP)

Code:
#/bin/bash

# Backup to backup server 

DATE=`/bin/date +%Y.%m.%d::%H:%M`
HOST=`hostname`
BCKUSER="REMOTE USER ID"
BCKSERV="REMOTE SERVER NAME"
SSH="/usr/bin/ssh -l $BCKUSER $BCKSERV "
list="/backup/cpbackup/daily"

rsync -av --delete -e ssh $list [email protected]$BCKSERV:/backup/$HOST
Best is to also setup a public/private key between the two so that you do not have to deal with supplying or hardcoding a password.

But I must agree, unless the ftp server is local to your server, it will take a painstakingly long time and will be using your bandwidth. Keep also in mind that by using rsync, future copy overs will only copy what has changed, so it will/can be less time.

Last edited:

brianoz

Mar 13, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Actually, I think the best rsync tool is rsnapshot - http://www.rsnapshot.org - check it out, it keeps several days worth of backups online using minimal disk space. Very nice stuff :)

But definitely, I should have mentioned rsync too, it's advantage is that it will only send the files that have changed each time you do a backup.