The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer issues again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kris1351, Jun 3, 2005.

1. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

Anyone know a status of the WHM account transfers at this point? Seems they are messed up again.

WWWAcct 9.2 (c) 1997-2005 cPanel, Inc.

Sorry, a DNS entry for domain.com already exists, please delete it first (from all servers in the dns cluster)

Transfer Error
    Account creation failed.. cannot continue..

Transfer Error
    Account Restore Failed

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Login to WHM >> DNS Functions >> Delete a DNS Zone, and enter the domain name in question, to delete. Do transfer one more time. It should work.

3. kris1351

I am quite aware of how to delete DNS zones, thank you. The problem is if you delete a zone then you can no longer seamlessly copy accounts from one server to another. You will be forced to wait the last known refresh time for the zones to update again whereas when you transfer properly it will reference the old address while propagating the new address.

4. kris1351

Nick Nelson at Cpanel said this feature has been changed now. You can no longer transfer an account from one server to another if the new server has an existing DNS zone for the account moving. They said it had something to do with domain hijacking, but I fail to see how in a DNS cluster you could be hijacking your own domains. There were no announcements made about this either as he argued about the loss of the feature for a bit.

So anyone needing to transfer accounts now will have to manually delete the DNS zone then do the transfer to the new server. That means EVERY transfer will not incur downtime. Please help get this fixed as there is a solution to the problem. Any domain in a DNS cluster should be able to check it is going to another in the cluster since root hash is required for the clusters.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It would seem most prudent for them to simply have a checkbox in the transfer procedure which will skip the transfer of the DNS records for you to setup at your leisure - would seem to keep everyone happy. Do you have a bugzilla entry open for comments?

6. kris1351

Nick tells me it isn't a bug and they are more concerned about security (go figure) than opening transfers back up. The fact WHM still requires root is more of a security hole if you ask me.

7. kris1351

Not only did they mess up the script to make it a total inconvenience to us, it does not work properly now. Out of 100 transfers only 10 made it over with the ScriptAlias for cgi-bin.

8. dynasyn

dynasyn Member

OK, does anyone know what version still supports transfers THE RIGHT WAY and how one can backdate to that version - then preven cPanel from upgrading, ever again untiil they fix this "not-a-bug" they created?

I guess it's time to switch back to Plesk since the main reason I switched to cPanel was the clustering and the ability to transfer sites between servers in the cluster.

cPanel - if you are listening - Why did you take it out? Security is NOT an answer either - you can simpply add a check to make sure the transfers are in the same cluster then security isn't a problem. I HAVE to have this feature back or I will simply switch back to Plesk. And, in case you are listening, I currently have 12 servers in my cluster with 2 more going on line this month. cPanel is great, but if I can't easily transfer sites between servers I will dump it - simple as that.

9. dynasyn

dynasyn Member

Well, I opened a trouble ticket and Nick Nelson replied with:

"I am going to look into making this a 'tweak settings' option that way if you want to enable it it's your option but it'll be disabled by default :)"

I hope they do this and quickly as I have sites to move yesterday! :)

10. dreamwiz

dreamwiz Well-Known Member

any news have they made that option to tweak settings yet? as has been said above, a checkbox in the transfer would fix the "security" issue very easily.

This feature is a MUST in Cpanel and one of the main reasons Im using Cpanel on my servers. It needs to get back, one way or another.

11. protocol

protocol Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I agree with having a checkbox to select whether or not to update the DNS. If an account is transferred it also messes up any customer DNS records e.g. special MX records.

12. casey

casey Well-Known Member

A checkbox would be dandy. We could leave it unchecked normally to ensure security, and then check the box before transfers.