The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer of Hosting but not Domains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harlequin, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi

I'm currently in the process of transferring some 40 odd domains to a new host and once this is cimplete will need to edit the DNS settings for the domains on the current host. Editing the DNS zine is what I think I need to do, I just wanted to run it by the forum first to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

I have one more issue though...

My existing host does not have a provision to buy a domain and then edit the DNS settings and I have a reseller WHM account with them which will be due for renlewal in a few months. So I'm curious how I do this. What I am thinking of doing is this:
    • Edit the DNS zone for each domain to point to the new WHM host
    • Then park all the domains on top of the main domain name
    That way I will only need one hosting account with the existinig provider which will cost less than a 10th of what I am currently paying, it will allow me to but TLDs that the new host does not and as I buy a domain I can simply park it on top of the main domain on the existing host and edit the dNS zone.

Any suggestions gratefully received...

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can park the domain names, however please remember parked domains will only point to the content of another domain name. It will not allow for separate cPanel access. If you are the account holder for all of the domain names, then yes, it may be a better option for you.

Thank you.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Thanks for the response.

I was looking around WHM last night and noticed that if I have a parked domain on top of another domain I can actually edit the DNS Zone for the parked domain which should achieve what I want, no...?

However, the main domain, I guess I'd have to use the simple DNS editor through its cPanel...?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, you can edit the DNS Zone of a parked domain just like you would any other domain name that points to your server. If you have access to the "DNS Functions" section of Web Host Manager, you can edit the DNS Zone for any domain name under your reseller account.

Thank you.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Thanks for that Michael

Once I have done that, parked the domains and then edited the DNS zone for each I guess that's job done.

Then, when the hosting comes up for renewal I simply buy a cheap plan that will allow me to hold the main domain with the others parked on top.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Another quick, maybe stupid question...

Is it possible to to a global DNS Zone edit for all the domains at once...? It's just that I counted them up and there are 80 domains to edit once the data has been trsnaferred to the new reseller host and editing 80 domains manually is not something I relish doing.

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are no automated tools to make such a change, however you can use the "replace" command, as mentioned in the following thread:

Update all DNS Zone records at once

Please remember to backup your zones before making any changes:

Code:
    # cp -a /var/named /var/named-backup 
    You would also need to increment the serial for each zone, as explained here:

How to increment serial in DNS Zone

Thank you.