The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer of one site question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silverking, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Silverking

Silverking Member

Hi,

Currently I'm on a VPS (with just one site) and I have to upgrade to a dedicated server on a new host.

Both servers use cpanel. I tried using the cpanel transfer site option but it didnt work the first time. I'd like to try it again but I'm not sure if I should just go straight into it again, or am I suppose to delete the failed attempt before?

Currently on the dedicated server it has 2 items listed in the "Account Transfers in the Last 30 Days", the first one was the failed attempt (looking at the log) , the second just said "Sorry that user already exists on this system" in the log. I'm not sure if it has actually transferred something, or theres nothing transferred yet?

I dont want to re-do it, before I know its safe to try again.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

2. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'd suggest you give up with "copy account", which is known to be problematic, and just do a full backup of the account. You can do it from inside the account's cpanel. Then download that backup and upload it to your server (or use wget to pull it right across to the new server) and put it in /home/cpmove-account.tar.gz

Once that's done, you should be able to use WHM to "Restore a single account" (wording may vary) and you should be up and running in minutes.

3. Silverking

Silverking Member

Thanks...I'll try it.

4. Silverking

Silverking Member

Is there any kind of software recommended for uploading it to the new server (from my computer)?

I've only ever used Putty when using SSH and WS_FTP for standard files.

5. need70

need70 Registered

I haven't WAM

I haven't WAM .. please haw can do it from Cpanel :mad:

6. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can't do it from cpanel, a full restore has to be restored by a server admin using WHM, sorry, that's just the way it is. You can *make* a backup from cpanel, you have to restore it in WHM.

If the restore fails, see if the user being restored already exists. Check to see it's from a botched previous restore then delete it if it is.

You can best upload with either ftp or scp (PuTTY has pscp which is the same thing). pscp runs from a DOS window.

If the backup failed, and you now can't find the backup file which was in /home/cpmove-account.tar.gz or similar, look in either /home/cprestore or /home/cpmove. Cpanel moves it there when it starts a restore and doesn't move it back if it fails; so to retry all you need to do is run "mv /home/cp*/cpmove-account.tar.gz /home" (which should find the file for you in either /home/cpmove or /home/cpbackup).

7. brendanrtg

brendanrtg Well-Known Member

Lets see, according to the post, Silver has a VPS and a Server which I assume he has root?

Why not then just do a PKGACCT, WGET and then a RESTOREPKG?

8. Silverking

Silverking Member

The Cpanel transfer didnt work...the backup didnt work...so I ended up just doing a manual FTP move and using mysql dumps to move the databases. I've still got my chatrooms and emails to sort out, but I'll get there, one day :)

I'll have to look for those backups (I did 2)...might as well delete them now instead of them wasting space.

brendanrtg - I did have root access to both servers. I'm not sure what "PKGACCT, WGET and then a RESTOREPKG" is...but I'll remember to take a look if I ever have to do this again. (*hopefully no time soon!*)

Thanks for the advice though, its appreciated.

9. Silverking

Silverking Member

Oh...something someone might be able to help with. I've been able to transfer the chat files from the public_html folder ok, but I'm not sure what to with the following four as they are located in the root:

DC_Server
    DigiChat_Chatmaster
    DigiChat_IM
    Install_DigiChatAV.bin

(First three seem to have a paperclip type icon next to them)

Is there a way I can transfer them from one root to the other? Would that be in ascii?

Thanks again.