The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transfer tool and account contact info

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by tibbitts, Oct 16, 2015.

1. tibbitts

tibbitts Member

If all the selectable items in transfer tool (home dir, databases, etc.) are de-selected, should account contact information (customer email address(es)) not transfer from the source to destination server when an account is copied? The contact info doesn't seem to be copied.

These are accounts that are now being used by customers only for dns (subdomains, mx editing, etc.) but may have legacy web content and corresponding databases, so the intent is to avoid copying the home directories and mysql databases, but it would be nice to still copy the account contact email info, so customers could reset passwords, etc.

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That information is stored in the account's home directory. Skipping the home directory will result in any information about email addresses not being transferred.

Update

I should clarify. When I state "that information" I'm referring to email addresses created for an account (e.g. I host example.com with you, and I created the me@example.com address on my cPanel account). If you are referring to the email address you use to contact a customer, that information is stored in the metadata of the account, which will transfer to another server via the transfer tool in your scenario.

#2 cPanelKenneth, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  3. tibbitts

tibbitts Member

Ok, thanks for the reply; I just wanted to make sure that was the intended behavior. Much of the home directory structure is reconstructed from scratch in the process, so I thought that the contact info (.cpanel/contactinfo) might be intended to be transferred as part of that, since it's essentially metadata associated with the account (like the password, although that's obviously stored elsewhere), rather than data like ftp files or web content.