Transfer Tool and database versions

nickwuk

Jul 18, 2009
How does the Cpanel Account Transfer Tool in WHM respond to the following situations?

1) If the host database version is MySql 5.7 and the database being imported is v5.5. Does the transfer tool automatically upgrade the database from 5.5 to 5.7, or does that upgrade have to be completed before transfer?

2) If the host database version is MySql 5.7 and the transfer is attempting to import a MariaDB database (which I understand is not possible), does the tool show a warning message? Does the import of others files halt, or does it continue without the database?

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
The transfer tool makes a mysql dump file of the database and then runs that SQL file on the destination database so whatever conversions take place happen during the restore itself.

I do not normally do what you are suggesting in scenario 2. However I dont think it's going to cause a problem but if you wanted to test it you could either just transfer one domain as a test or you could make a dump of a database on the mariadb server and try manually restoring on the destination server just to see if that goes through error free.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
It is possible to move to different versions of MySQL/MariaDB in the event you're moving to a newer version on the new server and generally speaking if there are problems or there will be issues the transfer tool will output a detailed error. You can read more about the functions here:

Transfer Tool - Version 80 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

How to Move All cPanel Accounts from One Server to Another - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

If a transfer will not complete successfully the tool will fail and you'll be notified as well. If you're unsure I a normal transfer (as opposed to an express transfer) that way nothing will be affected in the event the transfer is unsuccessful.