SOLVED Transfer Tool: Could not update .htaccess (XID) The supplied domain name is invalid.

Benjamin D.

Jan 28, 2016
Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
After using the Transfer Tool, I've got many errors like this: Could not update .htaccess (XID) The supplied domain name is invalid.

I went and checked on the new server FTP and indeed, many (maybe 20% of them) .htaccess files are missing! How do I force the Transfer Tool to copy the damn .htaccess file without automagically "taking care" of it (a.k.a. DROPPING IT)

I have a hundred sites with errors like this, as much as possible, i don't want to manually copy each and every .htaccess file by hand!!

Thanks for any pointers.

USA_Webmaster

Dec 10, 2015
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
This too happened to me. WHM said backup restore transfer failed but when I asked client to confirm if everything was fixed.. they said it was good to go. I tried, before restoring the backup to rename folder and adding .BAK and deleting the .htaccess folder and also changing permission from 750 to 777 but it didn't matter. After several tries of wanting to overwrite and restore backup.. i still received error. i guess it didn't matter though.

btw, if you have a failed restore, make sure you log into server and delete the TMP folders. I had several gigs of trash tmp folders that were never deleted..

p.s. maybe dude before me said he fixed it with permissions, so maybe he tweaked the restore file permissions? not sure...

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
they said it was good to go. I tried, before restoring the backup to rename folder and adding .BAK and deleting the .htaccess folder and also changing permission from 750 to 777 but it didn't matter. After several tries of wanting to overwrite and restore backup.. i still received error.
Hi @USA_Webmaster,

Can you browse to WHM >> Review Transfers and Restores and let us know the specific output that appears as it relates to error message?

Thank you.

USA_Webmaster

Dec 10, 2015
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for your time and patience Mr @cPanelMichael - I was overwriting existing user with full cpanel restore backup. I kept getting same error even though I would change the .htaccess file permissions before trying another backup restore... but nothing fixed it. Though.. client said account was restored just fine.

Any tips or wisdom?

Local Restore Summary:
Code:
RESTORE: 0 completed, 0 had warnings, and 1 failed.
RESTORE: Account “user”: Account Restore Failed: “clean: Cannot cleanup top level directory: “/cpanelpkgrestore.TMP.work.d61cb98a ”. at /usr/local/cpanel/Whostmgr/Transfers/ArchiveManager.pm line 678. ”
Could not update “/home/user/public_html/domain.com/.htaccess”: (XID mcx4hv) The supplied domain name is invalid.

Last edited: