The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer Tool Multi-Threaded File Transfer ?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Tcalp, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Tcalp

Tcalp Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hey Guys,

We've just started doing a data center migration where we will be migrating all accounts to newer hardware in different facilities we hold in the US & UK. The first cPanel account that I transferred took 16 hours for a 32GB account. With the transit average hitting a whopping 200Kb/s. I had actually assumed there was something wrong with the receiving servers file system, until I was hitting a similar wall to a difference data center from the same source facility.

This got me to thinking, "THERE MUST BE A BETTER WAY", on "windows" I've historically used download accelerators/multi-threaders to reach faster transit speeds. I came across a small binary called "aria2" and it quickly turned a transfer that was averaging out at 600K/s to 13Mb/s with 16 download threads, or in turn changing a 3 hour transfer to a around 15 minutes.

I can't imagine it would take a whole lot of work to incorporate an option for multi-threading and a supported binary to allow for such a thing (would equally be handy on the backup off-site storage options, where protocol would allow)

Anyhow, I just thought I would get your guys option before making a proper feature request on the matter.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Thank you for your feedback. Feel free to post the link to the feature request to this thread once it's opened so that other users can add their feedback and vote.

Thank you.