The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer Tool trouble

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by nosajix, Mar 19, 2016.

1. nosajix

nosajix Member

I recently used the transfer tool to transfer an entire server (about 100gb) the servers are being used for email only.

The tool worked very well and it seems all email transferred well without error however once it was complete, i was no longer able to access any of the email account on the old server. I noticed that the tool made some dns changes to the old server, but I don't see how that would stop me from accessing the old account through a root whm login.

This caught me off guard as I hoped to do the transfered and then manual turn off the old server - this did not work and as soon as the transfer was done, email was unusable on the old server.

Can you help please? I would like understand this process better and to make double extra sure that there are no emails that landed there.

note:both whm versions were latest release.

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It sounds like you may have done an Express Transfer. An Express Transfer (a) transfers account data, (b) modifies DNS entries associated with old account to point to new server, and (c) suspends the account on the old server.

A transfer without Express checkmarked will just copy over the account, leaving the account on the old server active and DNS data on old server unchanged.

Go into WHM and get a list of suspended accounts (Manage Account Suspension I think it is). You can unsuspend an account if you need to. but, as far as DNS goes, you'd have to manually edit DNS zones on old machine if you need to revert them back.

Mike

3. nosajix

nosajix Member

Oh.. now that makes sense. Does that mean all messages that reach that machine are forwarded to the new one? In perfect world ?

4. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, when you use "Xpress Transfer" it sets the old server to be a "backup MX" for the domains you transfer. Instead of seeing the domain listed in /etc/localdomains on the old server, you'll see it listed in /etc/remotedomains and in /etc/secondaryMX

Any emails coming into the old server for a domain transferred via Express Transfer will be forwarded (should be, like you said, in a perfect world) to the new server.

Mike

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  6. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    <snip>

My fault. I had a big gripe post here. It turned out to be my fault. The old server I was tranferring from was not allowing connections using the API from the new server and so it was using SSH to transfer instead, which I guess means it archives up the data first.

Once I realized the error of my ways I'm on my way again.

(I still shouldn't have to go into Advanced settings to get the streaming behavior I want/prefer)

M

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Your initial post is removed so I don't see the original report, but I'm curious about the improvements you are suggesting. Would you mind opening a new thread that explains your complaints so we can determine how to address them?

Thank you.

8. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Michael,

I suspect that problem I was referring to was one where I actually hadn't granted the new server API (WHM) access to the old server. So every time I'd try to do the transfer it would revert to using SSH because the API wasn't available. And that's when it would end up spending all the time archiving up a site before transfer. And that makes sense to me.

I can't say for sure that this was the case. But when I posted the last post [now retracted], I actually did end up briefly seeing the warning stating that the machine I was transferring to was not able to reach WHM on the server I was transferring from. It was a fleeting message. Obviously, once I made an appropriate ACL change, everything was good. Was this the same problem I was experiencing in my original post ( WHM 11.52 Transfer Tool )? I cannot say for sure. But I have a feeling it was.

Seems everything is working as planned with transfers across all my servers now, using the API for streaming transfers. Everything seems to be working as I am accustomed to it working.

Mike

#8 mtindor, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016