The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer Tool

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by GoWilkes, Dec 29, 2015.

1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just discovered this tool in WHM.

I was planning to move one cPanel server to a new one next week, which is always a bit of a pain. The new one is already live and has my larger accounts on it, so I was just going to move about 28G worth of smaller sites (maybe 30 domains) to it.

Before using it, just how safe and reliable is this tool? I don't want to risk losing anything, especially on the sites already on the new server.

Any warnings before I go forward?

2. guptaji

guptaji Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    you can use it.. no problems at all.

3. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. GoWilkes

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm using this tool now! And I have a few questions.

I started with a dry run without using Express Transfer, figuring that it would give me a chance to work out any kinks before updating the DNS records. I'm glad I did, because of the 52 accounts being copied, 15 of them have an error! So they'll take a little finesse to move over.

Here's my first question (a two-part question):

Once I fix those errors, I assume that I should start the Transfer Tool over, using the Express Transfer option. But if I don't select Overwrite, will it only copy data that is newer than the last modified of each respective file, or will it skip the account altogether because it already exists on the new server?

Assuming that it will copy any data that is newer than the last modified of each respective file, what about email? If the user has deleted emails from the old server between now and the time that they are moved, will they automatically be removed from the new server to match?

Second question:

I see that Express Transfer will update the old server with "Page Moved" pages on PHP and Perl. Can I make it NOT do that? I would prefer to update each account with a redirect script of my own making, making the transfer completely invisible to the end user.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Express transfers are documented at:

Transfer Tool - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

You can't block a single step of the express transfer, but you could modify the .htaccess files under the accounts on the source server after completing the transfer. Could you verify if the account transfers completed successfully, but with errors? Or, did the account transfers fail and thus there's no account for these users on the destination server?

Thank you.

7. GoWilkes

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The old server is a VPS with 40G allocated to storage. 28G had been used, leaving 12G available.

I looks like the transfer copies the entire account that's to be transferred to the main server account, in this directory:

/home/[ACCOUNT_NAME]/cpmove-[FAILED_ACCOUNT_NAME]

In my case, it copied an account that had 6G of storage, so that only left 6G available for the server. Then while that large account was being copied to the new server the system continued to copy the next account. Eventually it copied another large account, then another, which took up all of the server's storage! It looks like everything failed after that.

As far as I can tell, none of the failed accounts were created on the new server. It's possible that data was copied and never unzipped, though; I'm not sure where to look for that.

A future update on this tool should consider checking to make sure there is enough storage available for each task, and allow for a buffer so that if the transfers fail then the old server won't be completely filled.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The best course of action is to determine why the transfer attempts were failing. Were you able to complete the transfer of these accounts, or review the transfer logs to determine the failure reason?

Thank you.

9. GoWilkes

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry, Michael, I should have been more clear in my last post. The problem was that transferring the account requires a buffer of storage to be available, and I was running out of storage in that buffer.

What I had to do was transfer all of the smaller accounts first, then delete their data from the old server to clear up storage. This gave me enough room to transfer the larger accounts, as long as I moved them one at a time.

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am happy to see the overall transfer itself was successful after working around the space issue. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.