The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfering Accounts from One Reseller to another.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PulpFiction, Sep 18, 2005.

1. PulpFiction

PulpFiction Registered

Jul 13, 2005
    HELP: Transfering Accounts from One Reseller to another.

Im thinking about getting a new reseller account which supports my needs better. Though how do I transfer all my files from my reseller I currently have to my new one? I have talked to the company who im going to buy my new reseller of and they said all they need is my WHM password to do it if I have shell access though if I dont I would need to get the passwords for all my accounts. Which I cant do as I run a freewebhositng site and dont no the passwords. How do I no if I do have shell access?

Hope you can help because I really want moved onto my new reseller.

#1 PulpFiction, Sep 18, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  2. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2005
    You see if you can ssh in, grab putty or another ssh client and see if you can ssh to your server, put in your username and pass and see what happens, possibly test a end user username and password.

You have some level of whm access as a reseller, although it has been so long since I myself have logged in as a reseller I do not know what backup options exist there. Root has a backup and restore, even an account transfer.

As root the WHM user can simply transfer the accounts with either the root password or simply the account user and password, however YOU have to configure the DNS on the old server and your registrar to avoid downtime.

The somewhat tedious way to do it, is to go in under each user account and do a home directory backup, and then grab the tarball.

Upload the tarball to your new host. Or get them to upload it, a restore from root WHM is much easier than for you to try to do it.

Please be aware in changing hosts there are DNS issues, possible downtime, as well as many other things you need to be aware of, what you are trying to do is not as easy as it may seem.