The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfering client accounts..domains..ect

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrouseWebs, May 17, 2004.

1. CrouseWebs

CrouseWebs Registered

I posted the same thing in the general area and no body replied...

The company i deal with right now is closing at the end of the month, i found another company but don't know how i would go about switching all my stuff over with the least number of headaches possible...can anyone...help...domains...user account ect.,...?

2. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

Make a backup of your site and restore it on the new server. If your new provider has Cpanel also you can just have them restore from your full backup you can create in Cpanel.

3. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

As well, if you are using mysql, ensure that you have a good backup of your databases.

4. scabrera

scabrera Member

Hello all!

I am almost on the same case, I am transfering all my accounts from one reseller company to another, and there are two issues that I don´t know how to handle:

1) how to copy the email accounts with passwords from one server to the other?
    The email directory is copied with all the directories and is working great (all the inbox and outbox files), in this momment I have migrated few accounts and I have to recreate manually the accounts but I don´t know the passwords.

So, my questions are, where are the passwords for email accounts located? Where are located the email accounts so I don´t have to recreate them?

2) Some of my customers are using Mailing Lists, where are this list located? Is it possible to transfer them?

I really want to learn how to do it, please help.

Regards,
    Sergio

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You should be using the WHM account transfer mechanism that deals with all of this for you. If it's not available to you as a reseller your web hosting company should help you. You cannot simply copy email account files as that will not work.

6. scabrera

scabrera Member

Not to argue with this, but copying the email files has worked really great.

This is what I have done:
    - I made a full backup of the site I want to transfer, then I use the option UPLOAD backup to my new server.
    - Once there, I moved the directory named "mail" from the restored backup to the main "mail" directory. Then I created the email addresses on CPanel and entered into SQUIRREL and all the data is there, without any error at all.

When Cpanel decompress the backup file, it gives me a lot of directories and I am sure the info I am looking is there, I just need to know where is it :)

Regards,
    Sergio

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That will not create the required files in the servers /etc tree (including valiases, etc) that come with an account.

8. scabrera

scabrera Member

oh, I see. So, I need to copy the etc directory as well?

By, the way I started some of this changes about a week a go without any complaints from my users, up to date. Am I lucky? (I beggin to feel worried :D)

Sorry to bother you, I really want to learn, is there a manual where to read about this?

9. jogjabox

jogjabox Member

AFAIK, WHM account transfer will not copy the mailman config to the new server. You have to backup and restore mailman manually.

Thanks.