The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfering cPanel account question

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by harilip, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. harilip

harilip Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello!
    I want to move one Cpanel account (mails, folders and so on) to another cpanel account on another server. I do not have root access on the first one neither on the second. The problem is that we have 300 gb of data ( 80% email related data) and i was wondering which is the best way to move everything on the new cpanel account on the new server.
    If I use Cpanel>Backup>Full Backup and i select backup destination - remove ftp server what will happen exactly? it will transfer the tar.gz archive to the new cpanel account? How do I restore it there? Choosing "restore a home directory backup" only allows me to upload an archive from my computer.
    I'll make the DNS changes to point to the new IP after everything is done.
    Also what should I use: Remote FTP server or Remote FTP Server (passive mode transfer) and why?
    Thank you

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You won't be able to restore a full account backup archive without root access. Do you have reseller access to the destination server, and if so, are you planning to create a new cPanel account, or add the domain name as an Addon domain name to an existing cPanel account?

Thank you.

3. harilip

harilip Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    No I do not. On the new destination server there is a new account created but for the same domain name but it's not active because we didn't made the DNS modifications with the nameserrvers.
    What about allowing the new cpanel account on the new server to receive files from a remote server by CLI with rsync? Do i still need some root access or approval?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator