The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transferring dns/data something is not working

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by cz1179, Jan 1, 2005.

1. cz1179

cz1179 BANNED

I have my main domain used as nameservers on a shared hosting server. Now, I decided to get it its own server (dedicated) but obviously I will not move the ns1/ns2 to the new server and cause downtime for everyone else. What I thought I would do is just move the data to the new server under that domain but have the shared server dns zone point to the dedicated server, yet retaining its ns1/ns2 for the domain and everyone else on that server using the nameservers.

I tried that last night and it did not work whatsoever after several hours. Basically all I need on the original server was modify the dns zone for my domain to point ot the new server. The fields I modified were:

ftp a entry (changed IP to new server)
    domain a entry (changed IP to new server)
    subdomain (changed IP to new server)

It just did not pick up at all even after restarting bind. Oddly, Dnsstuff reported everything the same but domain IP was updated to new server, yet www.mydomain.com still went to the old server (keep in mind I had already did a complete transfer of the data from old to new server previously, successfully and tested working using IP method, static)

What did I do wrong that it wouldn't function right? For example, I logged into cpanel via www.mydomain.com/cpanel and it showed my static IP for old server, still. I even deleted the account entirely (kept dns zone) and all hell broke loose for 3 hours trying to restore it (ridiculous).

Please advise how I can have the domain / data on the dedicated server while keeping the dns one for the domain nameservers on original server, yet pointing to new server for data info.

2. cz1179

cz1179 BANNED

Can someone give any advice on this? I'm hoping to have this up tonight.

3. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

DNS is usually a messy problem and it varies from one server to another. Send me an email note or PM tonight: ServerTune (Yahoo, AIM, and MSN).

4. cz1179

cz1179 BANNED

Ok here is my update now...

I modified the A entry for my domain with a different IP (to point to a new server where the data is hosted). The dns zone I modified for that domain is on one server.

Results at dnsstuff.com show it is updated already
    Also pinging from their site shows it updated with new Ip as well

Odd part is from my DOS prompt in Windows XP I pinged the domain but it shows old IP

I even ran ipconfig /flushdns and cleared cache. I also did rndc flush on the Linux server that hosts the DNS zone. The DNS zone for that domain was updated over 60 minutes ago as of now.

Why does it show updated on dnsstuff.com but not from my DOS prompt?

Also, even when I login to the control panel for that domain it still shows old IP in the status area (this has nothing to do with the control panel itself anyway, it is real time regardless).

DNS zone was changed in these 3 fields (changed old IP to new one)

domain A entry
    mail A entry
    FTP A entry

Is this normal how its working out?

5. cz1179

cz1179 BANNED

Ok it propagated now but now my site shows this...

WARNING : [2] mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: 'user@localhost' (Using password: YES)
    /home/user/public_html/inc/mysql.inc.php (line 61)

WARNING : [512] Connection attempt failed
    [1045] - Access denied for user: 'user@localhost' (Using password: YES)
    /home/user/public_html/inc/mysql.inc.php (line 45)

WARNING : [2] session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/user/public_html/inc/debug.inc.php:144)
    /home/user/public_html/inc/certificate.inc.php (line 137)

WARNING : [2] session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/user/public_html/inc/debug.inc.php:144)
    /home/user/public_html/inc/certificate.inc.php (line 137)

WARNING : [2] mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource
    /home/user/public_html/inc/mysql.inc.php (line 153)

WARNING : [512] SELECT failed in SQL: SELECT * FROM superusers WHERE db LIKE "user_databasename"
    [1045] - Access denied for user: 'user@localhost' (Using password: YES)
    /home/user/public_html/inc/mysql.inc.php (line 45)

Database "user_databasename" not exist

I used WHM transfer (copy) feature on the new server (from old) and only changed dns (which works now). What could cause this error? How do I fix? I see all databases in cpanel mysql area too.