The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring DNS question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by b16b18, Aug 10, 2012.

1. b16b18

b16b18 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Here is my desired scenario that I'd like someone to verify that this will work properly without taking down my existing site.

I have 2 servers, registered with different hosts and running on different platforms.

Server 1 (windows) currently hosts my website and I want to leave that as is.

Server 2 (Linux/cpanel) is new and I want to use it as a mail server for the domain hosted on server 1.

So, in order for the mail server to work i believe i need to register the nameservers with my registrar. First question, will just registering the nameservers have any impact on the domain? My guess is no because I haven't transferred the DNS to server 2 yet. Which leads me to my next question, on server 2, do I just need to point the A record IP for this domain to server 1?

Trying to get server 2 up without server 1 having any downtime as there is traffic hitting the site.

Thanks for the help, hope this makes sense.

2. Escobar

Escobar Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    1. No, just registering the nameservers will not affect your domain name.
    2. On server 1, all you would have to do is update the A record to the nameserver you registered & set the mail to remote.
    ex. mailserver2.yourdomain.com ----> server 2's mail IP address
    3. On server 2 just create your email accounts and you're all set.

3. b16b18

b16b18 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for the info

So could I transfer the DNS to server 2? I am currently using my registrar's DNS. What would be the advantage of that?

#3 b16b18, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's not required to change your name servers if you simply want to modify your MX records. You could keep the control of the DNS for the domain name at the registrar, or you could change it's name servers to ones used by either server. Typically, you want the domain name to use name servers from the server it's hosted on. You should create an account on the second server, so that you can then create the email accounts. Then, ensure you add the proper "A" and "MX" records at the DNS host for the domain name so it's email is directed to the remote mail server.

Thank you.

5. b16b18

b16b18 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    thanks, worked as described!