The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring Domain Scenario

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by poprulz, May 1, 2007.

1. poprulz

poprulz Member

Existing domain/webspace with a shared hosting provider.Now I am experiencing a process limit and resource overage useage and thought to move to a deciated server.

So here is what I've done so far.

1. Requested my current host for an authorization code for transfer. Transfered domain to godaddy (still pending,was told about 72hrs waiting time). The Nameservers hasn't been changed and is still using the old nameservers so that my site doesn't go down.
    2. Bought a new dedicated server with Cpanel/WHM as root.

Now I am stuck, How do I move on from this point?

My dedicated server has given me the IP Space(5 useable IPs) and their Nameserver IPs. I could access the WHM and also CPanel(made a trial account).

What I need:

=> I want the domain.com which is with godaddy to point to dedicated server I have bought. I am not a reseller and got just a single domain, so how do i go about setting up the domain and IP addresses and Name servers in WHM?
    I will be transferring the entire content and DB to the new server.

Thanks in advance.

#1 poprulz, May 1, 2007
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. larryl

larryl Active Member

Create your domain on the server and give it one of the dedicated IP's.

There's no point in setting up name servers in cPanel for a single domain. Give your dedicated service provider the domain name and the IP you used and ask them set up A and MX records for your domain. Also ask them to set up reverse DNS for the main IP address and the name of the server so mail doesn't get blocked.

Upload the content to your site on the new server and test it by adding lines to the hosts file on your local computer (usually c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts):

111.222.333.444 domain.com
    111.222.333.444 www.domain.com

Where 111.222.333.444 is the IP you assigned to the site on the new server and domain.com is your domain name. Close all browsers and flush your DNS cache (Start > Run > 'ipconfig /flushdns' on Windows systems). Open a browser and go to your site. You should be looking at your new site. I usually make a small change to the Title tag in index.html to make sure I'm pointing to the right place. If it shows up in your browser's title bar you're golden. When you're done make sure to remove the lines from your hosts file and flush DNS again.

Set up your email users (if any).

Test the DNS records your provider set up. The easiest way to do this is to go to your local PC's command line and type 'nslookup' and press enter. Type 'server xxx' and press enter (where xxx is the name of your provider's name server). Type www.domain.com and press enter (again, where domain.com is your domain name). It should return the IP address you assigned to your site and asked your provider to set up for you. Type in the server's main IP address and press enter. It should return the server name as you requested in the reverse DNS. You should also test the mail server you requested to make sure their name server is returning the right IP address.

Once that's done you're ready to make the public switch to the new server. Nothing that you've done to this point has changed what the public sees when they see your site or send you email. This is where you will be changing that. You do this by going to your domain registrar and changing the name servers for your domain name to point your dedicated server provider's name servers. You'll see traffic starting to hit the new site pretty quickly if you watch the logs, but it can take as much as several days for the change to reflect everywhere. Lots of servers cache domain names and only update periodically, but once they do they will get the new IP address and start pointing to your new server.

You'll want to check your mail in both places until you're sure the changeover is complete. Do a DNS report at dnsstuff.com to make sure there are no loose ends and you should be done.

#2 larryl, May 1, 2007
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  3. larryl

larryl Active Member

As an aside, you're either going to need a crash course in server management or the services of a management company. If you go the latter route the good news is that there are many excellent companies available at very good rates.