Transferring site to new server

Oleg Dudkin

Nov 10, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,
I have a site on shared hosting.
I've decided to move to dedicated server. New server with WHM has been set up.
I've created new account for my site and moved all data to it (database and files) using cPanel. Everything works just fine but only with next URL
http://server.ip.address/~accountname/
I want to make my domain to point to new server.
What should I do?
Thanks.

Oleg Dudkin

Nov 10, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Have you changed your nameserver entries at your domain name registrar to point to the new server?
I haven't changed anything related to nameservers. I actually want to know what to change, and where. What my new nameservers addresses are? Should I setup them some way or they are already configured?

Oleg Dudkin

Nov 10, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks a lot.
One more question, does it matter that I've chosen "Use the nameservers specified at the Domain’s Registrar" DNS option when created account?

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Please ensure in WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup that you have your private nameservers setup properly and that you've assigned the right IPs there by selecting "Add an A entry for this nameserver" and putting in the correct IP you've used at the domain registrar. This will create a DNS zone with the nameserver entries and the A record IP entries that are required to work in conjunction with the registered nameservers at your domain registrar.

Additionally, after you register your nameservers at your domain registrar, please ensure to change your main domain to use those newly registered nameservers.

As a final note, since Nameserver IPs will only pull information for display purposes, it doesn't always mesh with what you've set at your domain registrar nor update when you update Basic cPanel & WHM Setup area. It pretty much can pull up cached information there.