The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfers with Cpanel/WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ddmobley, May 25, 2006.

1. ddmobley

ddmobley Member

I am setting up a dedicated server for a customer. Both the old and the new server has comparable versions of Cpanel/WHM. Because I do not have root access on the old server, the process I am using to transfer sites is:

1. Do a full backup on the old server with the file being FTPed to the new server.
    2. Move the backup file into the /home directory.
    3. Run the Backup > Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file.

This has worked great for 90% of the sites. Then, I transferred another site this way and am seeing a large difference in the disk space used on the old site and the disk space used on the new site. We're talking 380Mb vs. 188Mb. Is it possible that this difference is access logs piled up on the old server?

The Cpanel Full Backup seems to work pretty well. I haven't seen the procedure I've used fail partially. Either it worked or didn't work, but I've never noticed this kind of file size discrepency before. Should this be a cause for concern?

2. ddmobley

ddmobley Member

I tried a different approach.

I deleted the account and used WHM's Transfers > Copy an account from another server with account password. This transfer resulted in the disk space being comparable on the old and new servers.

What could cause the difference in file size? The Full Backup was 216890258 bytes, and the Copy an account from another server with account password was 419453824 bytes. That's 210MB in difference? Why the difference?