The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trick to allow an attachment to an auto-responder?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sneader, Oct 26, 2011.

1. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I understand that cPanel auto-responders do not currently allow for attachments. i.e. mail sent to a special address would result in an automatic reply, including an attached file (PDF catalog, Pricing spreadsheet, etc.)

So... anyone ever find a work-around? I saw one website that claimed if you email the attachment to yourself, then view the message, copy the ASCII attachment, then paste that ASCII attachment data into the auto-responder, it can work... but I've not yet been successful.

Any ideas appreciated.

- Scott

2. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK, I actually got this to work. Maybe this will help someone down the road (or remind me how *I* did it, 2 years from now when I next have to do this again LOL)

What I did was to email myself the attachment along with whatever words I wanted to say in the auto-responder.

Next, I opened the email in a way that allowed me to see the whole thing, including headers and the attachment all encoded in ASCII (I used GMail for my client, and viewed the message using the feature "view original")

I copied the message starting with the first "Content-Type' and then all the way to the end of the message.

I pasted this into the body of the new auto-responder. I did not choose "this message is HTML" in the auto-responder. Saved.

This is the tricky part... I had to edit this auto-responder via command line... edit /home/username/.autorespond/something@somedomain.com. At the top of the message you will see something like this:

What I did was to delete the first content-type (that cPanel auto creates) and replace it with the Content-Type that I pasted in from when I first created the auto-responder. It shows up right under the Subject line. So, now the top of my auto-responder looks like this:

It seems to work... BUT.... there is a catch. If you, then, edit the auto-responder via cPanel, it replaces the Content-type line back to the way it was, blowing away our custom one. I think the only solution is to either make the file immutable, or just remember not to use cPanel to edit.

I see someone suggested adding attachments as a feature request back in 2007 but it didn't gain any traction. Maybe I'll try again. :)

- Scott

3. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

That's a nifty little trick :) Thanks for posting that!

4. server research

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That is nice! and I can think of several uses for it, thanks for that!

5. crossing

crossing Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    How to attach pdf to autoresponder ?? I found a topic here but always fails

Hello, I need to attach pdf to autoresponder, I found this link and something strange happened,

http://forums.cpanel.net/f43/trick-allow-attachment-auto-responder-240362.html

I followed the steps. It worked. As Iam a newbie in Cpanel, I keep play it aroudn with the same mail and didnt recived anythinh after (because it was 8 hours limit..) so I decide to alter the file. Then I sow what was the problem and never managed to do it again ! I delete it autoresponder mail ,recreate it , again and again fallowing the steps, never worked again , all Irecive back its the code itslef.

Help !!!

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Re: How to attach pdf to autoresponder ?? I found a topic here but always f

Why not post back to that thread and ask for assistance there instead of this new thread?

Merged you over there. ;)