The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tricky DNS Issue

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by chackett, May 3, 2004.

1. chackett

chackett Member

Hi All,

Here is my issue ... see if you can help me make some sense out of this, cause it's really starting to make my head hurt.

I the domain name mydomain.com. The primary NS's are ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com. ns1 and ns2, are on a server that I own at ev1 (unperro.mydomain.com). That server has the zone file for mydomain.com.

There are NS records there for ns1 and ns2 as well as A records for same.

Everything seems to be working just dandy. All's good. Clients signing up, they all work.

Then, because of a new business relationship, I decide to give Nocster a whirl. I get new server. Hostname is elgato.mydomain.com. I update the dns records on the original server unperro.mydomain.com and give elgato.hacketthost.com the ip of the new server. Ok.. so we're all still good.

Then I start to configure the WHM and get cpanel all setup, and I figure .. ok .. so I'll just have ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com running on unperro, and all my old, existing clients will be just fine. I'll add ns3 and ns4, and point them to IP's on the new server elgato.mydomain.com. This seems to make sense to me ... until...

I go to eNom to configure my DNS servers .. .all clients who register domains or accounts on the new servers need to use ns3.mydomain.com or ns4.mydomain.com. But when I try t add the name servers, it reports "Root Domain Name Not Found" or something like that. So i remember that I need to add ns3 and ns4.mydomain.com at Godaddy.com.

So I go to GoDaddy.com and attempt to enter these new nameserver, but they report "Unavailable error" for the fields where I've entered the ns3 and ns4.mydoman.com

Then it hits me. Just because I say the hostname of this IP is ns3.mydomain.com and another IP is ns4.mydomain.com, doesn't mean that bind is going to respond when a DNS query comes in on those IP's.

I think that's where my issue is ... that I don't know how to configure bind on the new box, elgato.mydomain.com, to respond to DNS queries that come in on one of the two IP's that I assigned as ns3.mydomain.com and ns4.mydomain.com

Whew ... if you're still with me, thanks so much for reading this far. If you have any ideas on how I might rectify this, even better!

Thanks for taking some time to help.

Chris Hackett

2. chackett

chackett Member

Maybe Figured out?

Well, for what it's worth, I think I might have figured out at least part of the problem.

The eNom registrar (if you're using ModernBill, and the cpanel mod mod_enom) is where the issue is, I think.

There's a "note" that the domain must be registered to you AT eNOM. So it may be that I can't manage my own DNS server outside of eNom, at a domain that I've owned and managed for a while now.

Well, if anyone's interested, I'll keep you posted.

Chris Hackett

3. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Two things I can suggest to help clear up your problems.

1. Use seperate Domain names for each Server Hostname.
    2. With most Registrars, the Domain name (used within the Hostname) must be registered with them.

You cannot configure DNS servers with eNom, and by that I mean including IP addresses, if the Domain name used with the Hostname is registered with GoDaddy.

Hostname's & Nameservers are topics that can get very confusing very fast. For example:

"I get new server. Hostname is elgato.mydomain.com. I update the dns records on the original server unperro.mydomain.com and give elgato.hacketthost.com the ip of the new server"

This would mean you're dealing with 3 Servers?

Although you can have the Domain name on one Server and use it within Nameservers on another Server, by using A records, you must first understand how it works with Registrars and set things up correctly with them.

Using point form makes it easier to read/answer these type questions as well.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where the problem lies with this (having read through your thorough description ;) ) as we do something similar with no problems.

All you should need to do is add ns3 and ns4 to the zone file on unperro.mydomain.com where you run the DNS for mydomain.com, and point them to the new IP addresses for the new server. You would then probably have to wait for propagation (1-3 days).

Then you should be able to register the new DNS servers ns3 and ns4 where you currently have ns1 and ns2 registered.

This is how we've done it in the past without any problems.

5. chackett

chackett Member

Thanks for the responses.

Website Rob: You're right .. I did mistype in my previous post. There are only two physical servers, and there are two IP's on each server which are assigned to nameservers. Perhpas this is more clear:

server 1: unperro.hacketthost.com
    home to: ns1.hacketthost.com and ns2.hacketthost.com

server 2: elgato.hacketthost.com
    home to: ns3.hacketthost.com and ns4.hacketthost.com

Server unperro owns the zone file for hacketthost.com, and hacketthost.com is registered at godaddy. Currently godaddy correctly shows ns1 and ns2 as nameservers for the domain. Customers who are provisioned as hosting customer on unperro are assigned nameservers ns1 and ns2. Customers that are provisioned on elgato are assigned nameservers ns3.and ns4.hacketthost.com.

I've obviously created the appropriate A records in the zone file that lives on unperro. And queries to ns3 and ns4.hackett host work properly.

The real issue is that I want to register domains for my customers at enom.com, using the mod_enom module for ModernBill. Along with the domain registration, I want the newly registered domains to use the ns3 and ns4 nameservers. Shouldn't be any big deal? people register domains with registrars and assign nameservers that exist on other domains with other registrars.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!
    Chris Hackett

6. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, your last post is much easier to read & understand.

Easy now to see the problem.

hacketthost.com is registered with GoDaddy

That is why you cannot register it as a DNS server with eNom. For that to work and any eNom modules, you will have to transfer the Domain to eNom.

After that you should not have any problems -- presuming the zone file for Server 1 with the Domain name hacketthost.com, has an A record entry for both, NS3 & NS4 with their corresponding IP addresses.

7. chackett

chackett Member

Thanks Again for the reply.

Although, I don't understand why I should have to transfer my hacketthost.com domain to enom in order to register domains with them.

Help me understand how what I'm wanting to do with eNom is any different than the following situation:

I want to register a new domain with godaddy. The domain I want to register is 'abc.com', and I want to host my site at Hosting Provider xyz.com, and xyz.com tells me that when I register a site, I should use their namservers, ns1.xyz.com and ns2.xyz.com. goDaddy.com isn't going to require that xyz.com be transfered to them before they would register abc.com for me.

I'm not asking eNom to register ns3 or ns4 as nameservers for hacketthost.com domain, i want them to register domains for my customers, and i want them to assign ns3 and ns4.hacketthost.com as the primary and secondary nameservers for domains that I register on behalf of my customers.

I've already registered ns1-ns4 at godaddy as nameservers, and they should have updated to root servers this morning.

Well, I'll continue to keep you posted, and if you think I'm missing something, please feel free to straighten me out.

Chris Hackett

8. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The example you gave is correct and not a problem.

As I understood your problem with eNom though, you wanted to register Nameservers, not a Domain name. The two are different and have to be treated seperately. Someone registering a Domain name inputs the Nameservers where they are hosted and not a problem.

When registering Nameservers though, you also have to include IP addresses and most Registrars will not let you do that, unless the Domain name itself is also registered with them.

9. chackett

chackett Member

Hello,

Well, the saga concludes for me. I finally was able to register the nameservers at godaddy.com and this morning, once the root servers were updated, I submitted another test to eNom, and everything worked just fine.

There was some sort of glitch at godaddy that was preventing me from registering my nameservers there (at godaddy). But now that's fixed, and everything is golden.

Thanks For following along! I appreciate it.

Chris Hackett