The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with cPanel, Virtuozzo, and CentOS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ATD Telecom, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ATD Telecom

ATD Telecom Registered

I've been trying to get cPanel installed on a Virtuozzo container running CentOS for the past day, and have run into 2 issues. The first was not having yum installed. I got that squared away, but keep getting stuck with this error:
    Code:
    *** Notice *** No loop module detected
    If the loopback block device is built as a module, try running `modprobe loop` as root via ssh and running this script again.
    If the loopback block device is built into the kernel itself, you can ignore this message.
    *** Notice *** No working loopback device files found. Try running `modprobe loop` as root via ssh and running this script again.
    ...Done
    Cleaning Up....+.++...Done

No problem, I think, and run:
    Code:
    modprobe loop
    on the VPS Node. This doesn't change anything. When I try running
    Code:
    modprobe loop
    on the VPS container i'm trying to get up and running, I see:
    Code:
    FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab085.3/modules.dep: No such file or directory
    I am unable to find any templates for cPanel in the Virtuozzo templates catalog, and it seems like noone has run into any problems like this since 2005. Does anyone know what my next step needs to be to get cPanel up and running?

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    When running Virtuozzo, kernel modules are loaded by VZ and not within the container. Therefore, running modprobe inside a VPS won't actually do anything. Try running that command on the node instead, and restarting the vps.

3. ATD Telecom

ATD Telecom Registered

Vanessa,

I gave that a go already, however, I may have done something else in between the two steps, so I decided to give it another go, and logged in to the VPS hardware node. I ran
    Code:
    modprobe loop
    and the command was received properly. I then logged in to the VPS container and rebooted it. I logged back in, and ran sh latest, and am waiting to see if it takes... /me crosses fingers.

#3 ATD Telecom, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  4. ATD Telecom

ATD Telecom Registered

Still getting the same error.
    Code:
    If the loopback block device is built as a module, try running `modprobe loop` as root via ssh and running this script again.
    If the loopback block device is built into the kernel itself, you can ignore this message.
    *** Notice *** No working loopback device files found. Try running `modprobe loop` as root via ssh and running this script again.
    ...Done

Any ideas?

5. ATD Telecom

ATD Telecom Registered

So I reloaded the VPS container with the included CentOS 5 x64 ez container, followed the steps located HERE including removing the extra yum groups, downloaded the latest installer, ran it, and got the same error:
    Code:
    ...Done
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your system kernel may have been updated.
    This would have occurred in an attempt to install gcc, which is required.
    Before rebooting the system, please ensure that the installed kernel version is compatible with your deployment.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    with the updated kernel entry. I restarted the VPS, figured, what the heck, and opened my browser. It's up and running. Go figure...