The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with locally delivered spam when using outside spam filtering services

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nosajix, Aug 7, 2015.

1. nosajix

nosajix Member

My challenge is dealing with spam that is being sent directly to the server. I am using mx guard dog, which seems to work pretty well, so long as the spammers actuallly use my mx records.

We tried to set account level filtering to only accept mail that comes from their (mxgd's) servers but then mail sent from other accounts on the server never get delivered if they are sent using webmail. The team at MXGD suggested we filter by user-agent but that just sounds silly to me.

It also can cause trouble with server generated messages and php mail.

Is it possible to force the server to NEVER look locally for recipients when sending mail and ALWAYS rather send to mx records on file?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Have you considered utilizing the greylisting feature? This will help prevent SPAM by not accepting the message on the first delivery attempt:

cPanel - Greylisting

You can add specific IP addresses to the trusted hosts list if you don't want the policies enforced on those hosts.

Thank you.

3. nosajix

nosajix Member

I just enabled it - seems like it will help. Does this mean that there is no way to do what I asked?

4. nosajix

nosajix Member

Also a message preview and hold release would really come in handy with the greylist....

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, you can achieve this by ensuring the domain names are in the /etc/remotedomains file instead of the /etc/localdomains file (configurable via "WHM >> Edit a DNS Zone"). As far as the greylisting feature, you can submit feature requests via:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.

6. nosajix

nosajix Member

will changing the remotedomains file make mail sent from php and the cpanel webmail outgoing NOT deliver locally? Do you see where I am going here? Greylisting is helping but still seeing a 3+ spam per hour making it through per email address. Most of them getting through with negative X-Spam-Score.

I feel foolish getting into this war..

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Right, it will ensure the email is delivered to whichever host the email is directed to with their MX records.

Thank you.