The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with Mailman 2.1.7cp2

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sparek-3, Jun 2, 2006.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have some clients that are having trouble with their mailman mailing lists after updating CPanel. We are running the latest Release (R119), which appears to be running MailMan 2.1.7cp2.

When users log into their mailing list and click the "Tend to pending moderator requests" link the resulting page is the mailman bug page "Bug in Mailman version 2.1.7.cp2..."

Below is a listing of what is printed in the Mailman error log:

Code:
    admin(724): [----- Mailman Version: 2.1.7.cp2 -----]
    admin(724): [----- Traceback ------] 
    admin(724): Traceback (most recent call last):
    admin(724):   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/scripts/driver", line 101, in run_main
    admin(724):     main()
    admin(724):   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admindb.py", line 167, in main
    admin(724):     if not mlist.NumRequestsPending():
    admin(724):   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 132, in NumRequestsPending
    admin(724):     self.__opendb()
    admin(724):   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 86, in __opendb
    admin(724):     self.__db = cPickle.load(fp)
    admin(724): EOFError
    admin(724): [----- Python Information -----] 
    admin(724): sys.version     =   2.4.3 (#1, Jun  1 2006, 11:11:46) 
    [GCC 3.4.4 20050721 (Red Hat 3.4.4-2)] 
    admin(724): sys.executable  =   /usr/local/bin/python2.4 
    admin(724): sys.prefix      =   /usr/local 
    admin(724): sys.exec_prefix =   /usr/local 
    admin(724): sys.path        =   /usr/local 
    admin(724): sys.platform    =   linux2
    I did try re-installing mailman and that did not seem to help. I am really at a loss. Any other suggestions that I could try? I am not too good at reading mailman's error log, so I'm not really sure what issue it is referring to.

2. oulzac

oulzac Well-Known Member

I am also having this issue on 3 of my servers now too?
    I have reinstalled, used ./fixmailman and nothing from either.

is this an issue with python or mailman?

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Could it be a problem with python? I've seen others with problems when running 2.4 and when they went back down to v2.2 it was OK - this is something you hould probably check with cPanel directly, though.

4. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I found that the issue was an empty request.pck file in the list's directory:

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/<listname>

I found that if you remove the request.pck file it is recreated when you log back in.

I am not exactly sure if this is a good solution or not, I'm not real sure what the request.pck file does, but it is never very big (usually around 24 bytes). I only had this issue on a couple of lists, and removing the 0 byte request.pck file for those lists seemed to fix the issue and I am not aware of any further issues that came about because the file was deleted and recreated. However, somebody else who is more aware of Mailman's inner workings may know whether or not removing this file is a good or bad idea.

5. oulzac

oulzac Well-Known Member

I tried all the python fixes and no go, but that .pck file thing did the trick on all the lists on all my servers, nice find! :cool:

I test this by creating a new lists and it appears its an issue with the setup script of mailman, it does not set the file correctly, maybe this can be fixed soon in a new release