The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TRUSTIX - anybody use it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rhood, Feb 6, 2004.

1. rhood

rhood Well-Known Member

I have not found many posts about TRUSTIX on this forum. The reason I am curious is that I have been aware of it for some time, and see that CPanel supports it now.

It is basically a Linux distro specifically designed for servers, and hence security. It is also compact, with the entire operating system coming on a 350MB disk image. A far cry from RedHat's multiple CD's, for example.

Any opinions would be welcome!

2. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I emailed them some questions and got my emails bounced back 3 days later.

My thoughts ar if they can't run email then they most likely can't run a full OS.

Plus no public forum, this usually means they have something to hide.

3. alareach

alareach Well-Known Member

trustix test

Funny, I installed trustix 2.0 (the one from trustix.org) and cpanel BEFORE it was supported on Trustix (still beta) and pretty much everything worked. There was no way to update it yet, using /scripts/upcp would try to update for redhat. I haven't been able to fix that yet. Most other features would work with a few command line changes. I would like to see this supported as the disto seems to be quite secure. I have the box up still but the whm/cpanel license is expired now. I may go to the Datacenter and reinstall it again to see if any thing has changed on the cpanel end.

I still wonder if it is really supported or if the word 'BETA' was removed from the distro on cpanel.net accidentally?

Also don't know what if any difference between the trustix.org version and the Comodo version.

#3 alareach, Feb 7, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2004
  4. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I wonder this to :confused:

5. rhood

rhood Well-Known Member

It is the same. The only difference is that Comodo sell packages for it, such as a firewall with a GUI, etc..

6. alareach

alareach Well-Known Member

I have been running it on a test server. The only problems are with dns and chkserv.d (that is minor, dns is not) I am working on the bind issue now and if it doesn't work I may just go to the datacenter and reinstall. I installed cpanel on the trustix box initially while it was in beta so it may not have built everything correctly then.

7. Snowman30

Snowman30 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Just in the middle of a setup of CPanel on Trustix and i think i have found a bug in the WHM installer

I think the url should be http://updates.cpanel.net/pub/rpminstall/trustix-2.1/ and not http://updates.cpanel.net//pub/rpminstall/trustix-2.1/

anyone else icked up on this???

8. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Only trustix secure enterprise version 2 is supported not 2.1

9. Snowman30

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Oh great i wish some people would get their shite together over there then...

they told us to install 2.1

and this is after 2 days of fighting with fedora core 2 for our Athlon 64 server and then giving up and going for trustix...

10. Ancile

Ancile Member

i had a nightmare getting apache and openssl to compile properly on FC2 on an Opteron (AMD64)... Trustix however runs sweet on the machine, nearing 150 days uptime now! :)

11. Snowman30

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    we wanted to use it on an ATHLON 64 but couldnt find where to get the distro donwload link from so we ended up going with RH FC2 :(

12. eStyleAsia

eStyleAsia Member

I use Trustix/cPanel & I can't get the DNS to work right. I already figured out (I *think*) most of the named.conf issues and named loads file, but there are still problems and I can't figure out how to get in touch with .com support. I shot an email to the sales address and hope they get back to me with a support address. Or maybe someone here can help out? :p

#12 eStyleAsia, Sep 21, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  13. bjarne

bjarne Well-Known Member

I sactualy have had 2 licenses enabled for Trustix. I contacted comodo in UK and have signed up with them.

DNS services does not work on the one I have installed, and the Trustix tech told me they was waiting for Cpanel to fix it.

Basicly there is a bug but I hope Cpanel will fix it - and it shuld be good. There are commercial support with Trustix, but there is not the same support as with Cpanel. OK - not always the techs at Cpanel manage to fix stuff, but most of the time thy now are fast and good.

Looks to me like Comodo have a realy good sales department, but still they don't do so good with the tech part.

Imagine puting on your website - We garanty that Cpanel will work as promissed on Trustix, and the first thing you need to do after running the install is to contact there support because DNS is messed up:) At least they have a support - you don't get that with Fedora - only Cpanel techs telling you Fedora have some issues and then you are on your own.

I still think that Trustix have the potensial to be the best Cpanel OS, and getting comercial support for both the OS and CPanel is a great step for cpanel users.

I still miss the times with RH 7.3 and peace in the house. Maybe Trustix is as close you can get to this - but they shuld at least make sure it works before saying: We guaranty Cpan will work as anonced on Trustix. At this time they shuld have: We garanty Cpanel will works on Trustix - maybe next week:)

I will post when we have them running good.

14. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

If you email me your cpanel support ticket number, I will get this sorted for you ASAP.

nick@cpanel.net

15. AQHost

AQHost Active Member

Did you also find that disk quotas didn't work, that if you installed Pure-FTPD your FTP users weren't chrooted correctly, and that syslogd failed constantly? Curious if it's just me finding a whole laundry list of problems with cpanel/Trustix.

16. bjarne

bjarne Well-Known Member

Looks like with edge and some cpanel support help it is ok. They say install is good now so I am on install of no 2

#16 bjarne, Sep 26, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2004