The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying run a java app but have java issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TJCooper, Mar 17, 2004.

1. TJCooper

TJCooper Member

I am try to run this command (some fields changed for privacy) in ssh to start it

Code:
    cd /home/USERNAME/;nohup /usr/bin/j2sdk1.4.2_03/bin/java -jar jwwim_server_sql2.jar 127.0.0.1 USERNAME_DATABASENAME USERNAME_DATABASEUSERNAME DATABASEPASS PORTNUMBER
    I can run it with no problems as root but get this error if i run as the user

Code:
    Error occurred during initialization of VM
    Could not reserve enough space for object heap
    Any ideas???

I also tried putting the java installation in the users folder and still no luck..

2. jnagro

jnagro Active Member

same issue here... someone please post info...

3. jnagro

jnagro Active Member

Problem Found

java needs a lot of system resources, cpanel puts some ulimit restrictions in /etc/bashrc to limit normal users... with these default ulimit settings java uses more than its share and gets killed... if you comment out those lines and re-login you will be able to run it... i am currently looking for correct ulimit settings soi you can still limit users to some degree and let them use java... i will post those later...

4. TJCooper

TJCooper Member

instead of editing /etc/bashrc I added this to the command -Xmx48M like here below...

Code:
    cd /home/USERNAME/;
    nohup /usr/bin/j2sdk1.4.2_03/bin/java -Xmx48M -jar jwwim_server_sql2.jar 127.0.0.1 USERNAME_DATABASENAME USERNAME_DATABASEUSERNAME DATABASEPASS PORTNUMBER