The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to add domains to my server - newbie!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by monkeyra, Mar 10, 2004.

1. monkeyra

monkeyra Member

Hello all.
    I've just upgraded to a virtual dedicated server, and am finding all this WHM stuff a bit over the top of my head.
    I'm currently running one website on my new server, and wish to add another.
    I dont know if this is correct or not, but this is what I did (and it doesnt work)

Previously, there was one account listed. Then I went to create a new account, with the domain name I want to use (www.friendsatsea.com)
    It said the account was created OK.
    Next I logged into the website of the company I purchased the domain name through (www.simply.com). I edited the DNS information to point towards the two name servers and IP's which were provided to me when I purchased the new server.
    These name servers and IP's are also the same as what I'm running my current website on.

I hope everyone is still following!

So, to recap, I have one site up and running without an issue. I've created another account, amended the DNS information with the company who registered my domain name to point towards this server.

Now then, it doesnt work!
    if you type in www.friendsatsea.com you get page not displayed. But the account has been created, which you can see here;
    http://www.fordmondeo.org/~friend

I'm sure i've done something wrong, but I cant seem to figure out what! And the documentation for WHM is crap to say the least! It tells you how to do functions, but not what functions to do, to do certain other functions!

TIA!

2. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

OK.

You've created the account for the new domain. You've modified the domain's record with the registrar to point to the two nameservers. Now, you have to tell the nameservers where to resolve the domain.

If your Data Center is handling DNS for you, contact them and have them add the appropriate entries to their nameservers. If you are handling DNS on your own box. Ensure that you have properly setup the nameservers (or that your DC set them up for you properly), that the zone file for the new domain has all of the correct entries and that bind is running (or has been restarted).

3. monkeyra

monkeyra Member

Ok, i'm not quite 100% with you there.
    In my WHM, i have these options:

DNS Functions
    Park or Point a Domain
    List Parked Domains
    Add an A Entry for your Hostname
    Add a DNS Zone
    Edit an MX Entry
    Edit a DNS Zone
    Delete a DNS Zone
    Perform a DNS Cleanup
    Establish a Trust Relationship with a Primary Nameserver
    Synchronize DNS Records with Primary Nameserver
    Setup/Edit Domain Forwarding

I clicked on Add a DNS Zone (not sure if this was correct or not), and then it asks for an IP address and Domain, along with the user who will own the new zone (the one I want to add is listed, so thats ok.)
    Is this the correct option?
    Do I add the IP address for the server in there? and then the domain name which I wish to use? And then select the user?

4. bamasbest

Maybe I'm a bit confused.

In WHM, you have an option to Add an account. When you 'Add' the account, WHM creates all of the appropriate entries for you. Whilst you may want to 'Edit' the zone to tweak it a bit, there is normally no need to do anything other than Add the account and rock on!

5. monkeyra

monkeyra Member

if your a little confused, i'm massively confused! :D

Ok, as listed in the account list in WHM.

Theres two domain names, fordmondeo.org and friendsatsea.com.
    Both share the same IP Address of 64.91.255.225.
    They have different usernames, same contact emails, they reside in the same partition (home) and both have root access.

Thinking about it, when i click on modify account, the domain is listed as friendsatsea.com
    Does it matter that theres no http://www. at the beginning? Or does the software automatically compensate for this?
    And it also doesnt matter that there are two domains on the same IP?
    I'm just trying to figure out in my head how this all works.
    The DNS zones are nothing to do with it then?

Thanks for the help so far!

6. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As accounts must be created through WHM and each WHM is allocated to a Reseller account, did you set it up using the 'root' WHM or a Reseller one?

This would indicate the Domain is for a Reseller account. If an account is created and it is not a Reseller account, when at the Registrar you only need to update the 2 Nameservers, not IP address.

7. monkeyra

monkeyra Member

I created the account through the WHM.
    When I list the accounts, under the Reseller heading, it says "root" for both accounts, so I assume it was created under a root account?

So what is it i've done wrong? mega-confused! :)

8. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    monkeyra, unless this is a Managed Server, may I suggest you hire a SysAdmin to at least check over and correct your Server setup. I say that because you stated this is your Server and yet, the Nameservers for the Domain that works (fordmondeo.org) uses NS1 & NS2 LIQUIDWEB.COM. And I don't believe those are the Nameservers you used at your Registrar.

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=fordmondeo.org

Gives information on some problems with the working Domain and also points out that some DNS for the Server itself, are probably not setup the way they should be.

You can eMail me directly for some further suggestions, rather than taking this thread off-topic.

9. monkeyra

monkeyra Member

Sorry if I havent made myself very clear.
    I'm running a virtual dedicated server from a company called liquidweb.com
    Reading through the welcome e-mail again they sent me this got my attention.
    Firstly, this is part of it:

First order, would be to transfer your domain name to the following name servers (anonymous name servers):

Primary Name Server
    7a. Primary Server Hostname......:NS.SOURCEDNS.COM
    7b. Primary Server Netaddress....:198.172.239.22

Secondary Name Server(s)
    8a. Secondary Server Hostname....:NS1.SOURCEDNS.COM
    8b. Secondary Server Netaddress..:64.91.251.237

Or to our normal name server set:

Primary Name Server
    7a. Primary Server Hostname......:NS.LIQUIDWEB.COM
    7b. Primary Server Netaddress....:198.172.239.20

Secondary Name Server(s)
    8a. Secondary Server Hostname....:NS1.LIQUIDWEB.COM
    8b. Secondary Server Netaddress..:64.91.251.155

And then a bit later after saying I must create accounts using the WHM, is this:

If you do not register your own name servers, then you
    must request dns setups by Liquid Web Inc and use our primary/secondary name servers.

Ok, so this is my newbie question here :eek:
    Do i need a different nameserver for every domain I wish to add onto the server?

10. bamasbest

Nope.

Reseller stuff aside.

Let's say you create 2 nameservers on your box (ns1.yourdomain.com, ns2.yourdomain.com) via WHM setup and have properly registered them.

From this point onwards, each new account that you establish would use those two nameservers and when you create the new account via WHM, the zone would list the appropriate NS entries.

You would just have to advise your customers to designate YOUR nameservers when they register/modify their domain with their respective registrars.

11. monkeyra

monkeyra Member

So is this a problem to take up with my hosts?
    (ie, liquidweb, who i'm renting the virtual server from)

12. monkeyra

monkeyra Member

ok, just to let you all know, it turned out I had to fill out a form on my hosts site and they add the domain name to the account!
    thanks for all your help regardless!

13. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Glad to hear it was a happy ending to the problem. :D