The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to create a demo account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chew, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Chew

Chew Well-Known Member

ok, here's what I've got so far.

all feature counts at 0, 1 mb of space.

/home/demo chmodded to 000 and chowned to root.

Can anyone think of something I'm missing besides the problem of them being able to send mail via the smtp server (which by the way does anyone know how to turn off?)

Thanks,
    Chew

#1 Chew, Apr 14, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  2. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I remove the DNS entry and chattr -R +i the directory so no changes can be made at all. Seems to work well. If I'm not mistaken the demo mode disables SMTP also or I may have removed the entries from /etc/localdomains and /etc/userdomains.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Considering the recent scare with anyone being able to SSH into a demo account and getting shell on your server, I would very seriously recommend that you never ever use the demo account feature. If you feel the need to do so, let someone else take the risk and use:
    http://www.cpaneldemos.com/

4. Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

Seconded!!

There is just to many security problems associated witha demo account, use cpaneldemos if you want the full thing or provide tutorials from one of the many suppliers.

If you want a version without all the the active code for customers to have a poke around at feel free to use this one it is only X-skin but it is all the pages with the active code removed and images to replace some of the automatically generated pages http://www.weby.com.au/scripts/cpanel.zip

5. ZapX.net

ZapX.net Well-Known Member

hello,

What exactly are the security threats in having a demo account? And, how are people able to log into shell on that account? Is this even so if you disable shell for that account?

6. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

Actually , a few months ago I saw a post here , cant remember where or who it was , but it was a great idea :

Firstly create a demo account and then use a program called http://www.httrack.com/ to copy/download the demo account as html onto your PC.
    After that I deleted the demo account on the servers and ftp'd the html filles as an demo example on our main site.
    As its html its of course not realy functioning properly , but the potential customer will get an idea of how superior cpanel is :D
    BTW : some links needed to be edited before to delete ip/username/pw as the program didnt do a total clean convertion. So double check ALL the html files before you upload them to your server ! ;)

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

8. Apocalyptic

Apocalyptic Member

Trigger
    Thanks for the cPanel.zip, its perfect ;)

9. DomineauX

DomineauX Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I agree strongly with the idea that has been mentioned quite a few times all over the forum that: The demo Account feature should be made into a fully secure/safe feature so that it is usable as offered. I have spent too much time trying to hack it into being safe enough for hosting sites that feel the need to offer a real demo. If it wasn't to be done right, then why was it included in the first place? Since it was included a long time ago, and still is, then it is CPanel's responsibility to make it a usable and safe feature.

10. RandyO

RandyO Well-Known Member

Even Cpanel itself does not have a demo account, that should say volumes...........