The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to determine why a domain won't resolve

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by minorXthreat, Sep 4, 2011.

1. minorXthreat

minorXthreat Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi everyone,

I've been banging my head against the wall for the last 2 days trying to figure out why my domain is not resolving to our new hosting server. A dig request seems to indicate a missing "A" record, however I have tried to add this in WHM with no luck. I've taken all the obvious troubleshooting steps, verifying the NS are running and the domain is setup correct. I know it's 100% a DNS issue (probably a somewhat simple fix), but I can't seem to locate the root cause. My hosting company does not provide support for matters like this, only hardware issues, so I'm somewhat on my own here.

So, here is my request. :) I'm not really comfortable posting any IP or domain data here due to the high profile nature of the site. If there is anyone who could take a few minutes out of their weekend and offer me some "private" troubleshooting advice via email/gtalk I would be eternally grateful and would gladly deposit $50 in your paypal!!! I just don't want to publicly post any logs or dig requests here... If your interested, send me a private message so we can talk. I'm not going anywhere or sleeping until I make some progress on this!

Thanks in advance...

:confused:

2. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

If you are interested, I can take a look into it and I don't want the payment ( as you said, I can check it during my off shift and sys admin job isn't just a "find my living" for me :) ).

Please send a private message, if you want me to check it.

Thank you.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When you mention making changes in WHM, do you have root access to WHM and SSH, or only reseller access to WHM? If you have root access, you could try opening up a ticket with us using WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link in my signature. Since you've listed "Website Owner" as your access level, it's difficult to know whether you have root access or not.

4. alphawolf50

alphawolf50 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When you run dig on the domain, what comes up under "AUTHORITY SECTION:"? If the servers listed on the right are not your DNS server, then the name servers need to be changed with the domain registrar.

5. milind

milind Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is the problem fixed or you are still looking for answers? Is it possible to provide the domain name for which you are facing problems?