The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to install a DNS-only cPanel...

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by maysoft, Mar 25, 2007.

1. maysoft

maysoft Well-Known Member

I am trying to install DNS-only cPanel on a virtual machine (vmware server 1.02, centos 4.4), but the installation seems to go into endless loop after some time.

Does anyone have positive experience installing it? What OS would be the best choice for this cPanel? This virtual machine will be just secondary DNS, nothing more, so I want it to be kinda small and not resource-hungry.

Or maybe someone have better solutions for secondary DNS?

I appreciate any help.

2. maysoft

Anyone?

If you have it running, please just let me know what OS are you using, that will be enough I think :)

3. apogee

apogee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I've re-installed one of our dns servers 2 weeks ago, I had the same problems with the loop (perl was wrong - sslay - just kill perlinstaller). After the setup was done I had problems with SSL, tooks me 4 hours to solve it. We use CentOS 4.4 on our DNS Servers.

4. maysoft

Not so optimistic but anyway thanks a lot for your input! :)

Will see if there will be other suggestions. Otherwise I will start trying some random OSes (cenots 3.x, debian, freebsd4/5/6...). If nothing helps, I will have nothing else to do but go the hard way - killing perl installer and then getting SSL to work... :(

5. maysoft

Well.. It seems that I've got some success with this. I just used a fresh centos 3.8 installation. cPanel installation finished without issues.

I hope this will help those who trying to save some precious time :)

# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda2 2.7G 686M 1.8G 28% /
    /dev/sda1 99M 9.1M 85M 10% /boot
    none 125M 0 125M 0% /dev/shm

# uname -a
    Linux **** 2.4.21-47.EL #1 Tue Aug 1 09:15:44 EDT 2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux