The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to install CPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrentTech, Jul 23, 2005.

1. TrentTech

TrentTech Registered

Hello...

I've recently gotten a trial for CPanel and I am trying to run it on my home machine to test it out. So last night, I did the mkdir /home/cpins
    Then I did the cd /home/cpins
    Then I did wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/latest
    Then I did sh latest

The only problem is, I woke up this morning, and I saw it was still installing, is it supposed to take this long?

2. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    no. it shouldn't take this long.

3. Piggers

Piggers Member

I noticed the same thing. I think they are using a different config for there install script. One of the ftp servers they are using is even active. That is slowing things down alot.

4. blackdog404

blackdog404 Registered

I am having the EXACT same problem. I started installing it last night and woke up this morning to:

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Does anyone have a fix? This really sucks, they (LayeredTech) are unslaving my old hard drive that I'm suppose to transfer my old data from tommorow as well.

5. Piggers

Piggers Member

I just let mine go and it finished in about 1.5hrs.

6. TrentTech

TrentTech Registered

Weird...I'll try again, and let it go for a day...any longer than that there's definately a problem

7. Piggers

Piggers Member

If it is taking a day to install, I would send in a ticket to cPanel. That is definately a problem.

8. eigh

eigh Member

dots galore

I had that problem over the weekend. thought it might be a problem with my distro, so i installed cent0S instead... this time without x... and ran the install a second time.

As of 4:00 pm its still installing (started at 10:00 am this morning)

:-/

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

As Piggers has already said. If it takes any longer than an hour or two, restart it. If it still takes longer, then log a ticket with cPanel. There's no point leaving it a day as the actual procedure should only take 1-2 hours at most (providing that you don't have a crap internet connection of course).

10. TrentTech

TrentTech Registered

The thing is, I can't, I got a trial license because I want to try CPanel out

11. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

cPanel should still provide you with support for the installation of the trial license.

12. Piggers

Piggers Member

I would assume that cPanel has several mirrors for there install script. The script determines the best possible mirror and uses that for download of files.

I started another cpanel install and noticed it was going extremely slow. I can monitor what has been downloaded through my virtuozzo vps main control panel and the megs downloaded was not going up fast at all. It was maybe doing 5kbs on download.

I decided to stop it and restart the download. The download pick up dramatically. This sounds like a slow mirror that is causing this issue.

Just my .02!