The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to migrate name servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spellinn, Dec 31, 2007.

1. spellinn

spellinn Member

I'm trying to migrate users of an old server (which was also a nameserver)

I've enabled DNS clustering on both the old and new server, and sync'ed the records.

I now want to change one of the NS records to point to the new server. I've updated the NS record at my ICAN registrar, however cPanel won't let me remove it from the old server. From the Nameserver IP configuration page in WHM:

Code:
    Sorry, the nameserver ip <old IP> cannot be removing [sic] since it is still registered with an ICANN register.
    Likewise, on the new server, I can't assign an IP to that ns hostname as I get:

Code:
    Nameserver Ip Assignment
    Sorry, the nameserver ns1.myhost.com already has the ip <old IP> assigned to it.
    As I cant remove the existing one, or assign the new one, what IS the correct process for migrating a nameserver?

Cheers

Neil

2. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

You can edit the Nameservers Ips in /etc/nameserverips.

3. cbwass

cbwass Well-Known Member

In Server Configuration/Tweak Settings, activate 'Allow Sharing Nameserver Ips', this should allow you to add the new Nameserver. Once it is resolving correctly you should be able to remove the old one.