The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to setup NameServer to listen for DNS queries on two IPs

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by RangerRik1, Aug 13, 2015.

1. RangerRik1

RangerRik1 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Everyone --- Question: I'd like to setup my cloud server to listen and respond to dns queries on two separate IPs. I have installed both IPs into the server and added my root DNS zone (mydomain.com) - In that zone file I have created a-record entries for ns1.mydomain.com -> First IP and ns2.mydomain.com -> Second IP.

When I query the first (original server ip) at ns1.mydomain.com I get an expected response for "authoritative" domains. I do this from my windows-pc using "nslookup hostname ns1.mydomain.com".

However when I query the second ip, ns2.mydomain.com I get no response from the nameserver. "DNS Request Timed Out".

It's like my cloud/whm server is not "listening" on the second ip even though I added both IPs at WHM --> Server Configuration --> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup.

Any idea how I can configure my cloud server to respond to DNS queries on the second ip?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. RangerRik1

RangerRik1 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes--same result, no response.

Any help is much appreciated!

4. lldeepakll

lldeepakll Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

Make sure that 2nd IP is active/online or not. Just check by pinging both the IPs from your local system.

Thanks

#4 lldeepakll, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  5. RangerRik1

RangerRik1 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a virtual cloud server with IX Web Hosting... Cent/OS and added a designated second IP to the server using IX provisioning process and WHM --> Server Configuration --> Basic cPanel & WHM Setup.

I am testing it from my home ISP connection. I have noticed first IP pings but second does not. I am doing my nslookup and ping tests from my pc/laptop at home. The server is responding to DNS queries on the first/original IP but not on the new/second IP. It's like the second ip isn't assigned to the server/right services -or- is being blocked?

Was hoping I could get some help here before having to purchase support with IX... I can't seem to find any DOCS on the web that are helping...

I will SSH/putty into the server and try to ping the second ip from the server itself...???

When I remote into the server (SSH/putty) - I CAN SUCCESSFULLY ping both the first and second IPs...

Any clues???

#5 RangerRik1, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  6. lldeepakll

lldeepakll Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So the second IP is not pinging. Have you added the IP using option "Home » IP Functions » Add a New IP Address" in WHM ? If not then add the IP using this method and if IP is already there then try remove and re-add the IP. Also make sure that you are giving correct subnet mask.

If the IP still not ping then try restarting the ipaliases service using following command.

/etc/init.d/ipaliases restart

If still same problem, you can try restarting the network and ipaliases services. Assuming you have console access to vps (Just for safe side) in case the network service get stucks due to some reason.

/etc/init.d/network restart
    /etc/init.d/ipaliases restart

Thanks

7. RangerRik1

RangerRik1 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I removed and re-added the ip address. Still can't ping. Provisioning panel said to add ip with /32 so I used subnet mask 255.255.255.255 - is that correct?

I restarted the entire server too ... still can't ping.

8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I suggest consulting with your data center or hosting provider if the IP address fails to respond. It's possible there's a networking issue they will need to address.

Thank you.