The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to start my basic webpage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jungalist81, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Jungalist81

Jungalist81 Member

Hello cPanel,

I took an interest in having a website for my video game clan. I have this cPanel as well as purchased a site through godaddy.com

I tried making a very simple webpage just to see if it works. I used this tutorial:
    /http://www.hooverwebdesign.com/support/add-new-page-to-website.html

My webpage is not showing up at all. I followed the steps correctly (i think). I opened up notepad, typed a sentence, saved as page.html on my desktop, uploaded that single file to public_html and also adjusted the site by adding /page.html to it.

What is my mistake? I looked at my godaddy account and cPanel to make sure that the address is correct.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    What happens when you open, yourwebsite.com/page.html exactly?

3. Jungalist81

Jungalist81 Member

/http://skyedenmc.com/page.html
    the godaddy advertisement popups. At the bottom it says 'this website is parked free'. I checked with my godaddy account again and the domain is correct.

4. Jungalist81

Jungalist81 Member

Edit: Sorry for late reply, I thought I posted a minute after your comment but i guess it didnt go through...

Anyway, the godaddy page is displayed instead. I guess its default. The bottom of that webpage says this domain is "parked free". I hope that doesnt mean its vaccant because I checked my godaddy account and the website is correct.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Your domain does not appear to be pointed to your web hosting account properly. GoDaddy can assist you with that.

6. Jungalist81

Jungalist81 Member

Hi Infopro

Okay thanks Infopro. Ill go tell GoDaddy. Ill post here again if there are any issues

Jungalist81

7. Jungalist81

Jungalist81 Member

So what was happening was that I didnt have the right A (host) ip address. I edited that as well as input the right NameServers. At godaddy.com, they said that the changes might take 2 to 48 hours >.<

Is there any other basic things I should take care of for my website to work?

8. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Right now, the default GoDaddy parked page isn't showing up any longer, but I'm not seeing page.html at the domain you'd previously noted. Are you certain the page was called page.html and uploaded to public_html folder?

Please note that in Linux, files are case sensitive, so if you called the page Page.html or PAGE.HTML or anything that isn't all lowercase, you'll have to call the page in a browser exactly with the casing used.