The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to stop spamming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jimmyftw, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Jimmyftw

Jimmyftw Active Member

We've had a few instances of peoples accounts being exploited or comprimised and scripts being used to send out large amounts of spam. I'm interested in stopping this from both the side of getting the scripts more secure and hopefully getting customers to be more careful, and by making it so these scripts that send this spam can't work.

So in short, is there any way to block mail sent from scripts where both the from and to addresses are not local on the server? I realize some legit scripts may send mail like this but I don't believe they should and all the spam scripts I've seen send the mail to addresses off server with the from address as an remote address also.

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

That's a very good start. :)
    Although this issue has been discussed hundreds of times in these forums, secure your server by installing up-to-date security patches and applications, upgrading scripts including Php and Perl to the latest release, clean up hacking and spamming scripts/objects, if there are any on your server; the list goes on...

This thread might be of help to you http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=22749

3. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    mod_security might help too

4. Jimmyftw

Jimmyftw Active Member

I've been testing mod_security and today I'm rolling it out accross all our servers. I could technically use it to block the main name of the cgi script these fellas are fond of uploading to spam but they could then just rename it to avoid that. So have to find another way.

I'll take a look at that other post.