The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to transfer account from one cpanel to another is there a max size?

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by Fusion6, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Fusion6

Fusion6 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Not sure if this is posted in the correct section although it is a workaround I am looking for.

I am trying to transfer some accounts from one server to another. Both running the same versions of Cpanel. I have managed to transfer an account of 6Gb in size with no problem but I have another account which is very large, in excess of 35Gb! Have tried a couple of times to transfer it using the tools in WHM but each time I get the same error.

I can't do this manually as my connection here is not fast enough. It would take forever to download and even longer to upload to the new server!

I am wondering if this is failing because the size of the files are causing the backup to corrupt? All the details are correct so I don't understand why it's saying the primary domain is either missing or corrupt. Any suggestions of a way around this?

Many thanks.

Saul

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Trying to transfer account from one cpanel to another is there a max si

Hello Saul,

If you have root SSH access to both machines, you wouldn't have to download to your system. Simply manually package the account:

Code:
    /scripts/pkgacct username
    The scp the file cpmove-username.tar.gz in /home to /home on the new machine, then restore it there:

Code:
    /scripts/restorepkg username
    I highly suggest running "screen" command before doing either the pkgacct or the restorepkg. This way if the SSH session disconnects for any reason, you can use "screen -ls" to see the screen session, then use "screen -r screenname" to reconnect to it where screenname is the name of the existing screen session.

3. Crooner

Crooner Member

I have a large account that I'm trying to do this with but the total process takes so long that the site would not be usable the next morning. packaging takes about 3.5 hrs, 4.5 to transfer and another 3.5 or so to restore on the new machine.

Is there a way to do this one night and then maybe run rsync for the file system and something similar for the databases to update anything that changed the next night and then switch the IP over in the old server?

4. Fusion6

Fusion6 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner

@CpanelTristan
    Unfortunately I only have root access on the server I want to transfer the files to. On the other server I have, what I now discovered, is limited ssh access. Of course they didn't tell me that for two days! They said they had enabled ssh and then even suggested how I could do the transfer using scp but after me trying that over and over with variations of trying to pull from my new server and sending from the old server they then tell me that I don't have jailed shell access!!

The existing hosts did package the account for me, which took over three days! so I now have a 39Gb file sitting on their server and seemingly no way but SFTP to transfer it to the new server. This means I have to use something like FlashFXP and my own bandwidth. It's still faster than directly downloading the file and then attempting the almost impossible task of uploading it to the new server but still, at a max of 3mbps the estimated time is over 40hrs and that's if my connection doesn't drop or my speed get's limited, which it sometimes does during the day.

This whole thing is a complete nightmare! The existing hosts could of course initiate the transfer themselves, having root access but won't do that because they don't transfer accounts "out" only "in".

If anyone has any other suggestions how I might do this please feel free to chime in :)

@Crooner
    Just curious how big your files were as you said it took 3.5hrs to package?

5. Crooner

Crooner Member

About 75Gig uncompressed, 18Gig compressed

6. Fusion6

Fusion6 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner

Wow! and that only took 3.5hrs to package? Wondering why my hosting took 3 days for 55Gb!

7. Fusion6

Fusion6 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner

Now my SFTP is not working! The hosts are trying to tell me that I need root access to run SFTP via FlashFXP which is clearly not the case because It was running fine two days ago.

By the way, isn't it time Cpanel sorted out all this file transfer business? If I could have done all this via WHM I would have it sorted by now and would not have to keep giving excuses to my customer.

8. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

The best way to do it in WHM would have been to skip the home directory (/home/username) and get a small backup, then to rsync the rest of the contents. Unfortunately, without root access, there are quite a number of limitations that exist.

9. Fusion6

Fusion6 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner

Yes I tried that but it would not complete. Kept timing out, probably as a result of the large file size and the lack of resources on the shared hosting. Still don't know why it took the hosts over 3 days to backup the file. Anyway, I am almost finished transferring via SFTP. 89% of the 39Gb file is across to the new server. I reckon If I leave it overnight it should be done by the morning. Then I just have to hope that it restores without any problems! For all I know this archive could be corrupt and I'll be back where I started.

10. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Good luck, I really hope it works out!

11. Fusion6

Fusion6 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner

Many thanks. Will let you know how it goes :)

12. Fusion6

Fusion6 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner

Ok just an update on my file transfer issues. It finished what I thought was the transfer via SFTP but what it had infact done was just downloaded the file to my local machine. Obviously given my low connection speed there was no way I could upload that 39Gb file to the server. It would have taken about three weeks and completely tied up my internet connection.

After a lot of back and forth messaging with my US based hosts I finally found someone who actually knew what he was doing. It's seemed the root cause of the SSH direct transfer problem was simply their firewall was blocking the connection to my UK server. Once that was entered as an exception in their firewall the transfer started and the file was across in just under 24hrs. Happy to say it restored perfectly to the new server and I am just waiting for this weekend to change the dns records so the migration will be complete.

@nnbs01 you may be having the same issues, or some of them that I had. Sounds like you could have too many sessions hanging at the server and this might be why you could do the transfer a few days ago but can't do it now. That happened to me a few times. Ask your hosting company if they could check and close any open sessions.

13. djmerlyn

djmerlyn Well-Known Member

I'm having this issue. Seems more like a problem with the way cpanel is trying to move the file.

When using the cpanel interface to copy the file, the file on the receiving server is;

cpmove-username\ .tar

Could be a fluke, but it seems that \ and space might have something to do with it. Packaging and moving the file manually as noted here worked for me, but its strange that the issue is with some accounts and not others. It makes me think there is actually an issue with the users configuration file in cpanel somewhere.