SOLVED Trying to understand mail exchanger

gutterboy

Jun 22, 2015
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have just set up my domain with GSuite so handle my domains email and have followed this guide: Set up MX records for G Suite and Gmail - G Suite Administrator Help

But I'm not 100% sure what I set the Mail Exchanger to, from what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, but as I see it...

For examples sale, say my domain is: example.com and thus...

Local Mail Exchanger basically means that IF someone from the same domain, say [email protected] sends an email to [email protected] THEN, instead of this mail being sent off to gmails mail servers and THEN back again, the server just sends it straight over instead of going through gmails servers?

Remote Mail Exchanger means that ALL mail will go through gmails servers regardless of who sent it.

Is that about right?

However, this page hapaweb.com/google-apps-how-to-set-up-dual-delivery-on-cpanel/ seems to state that:

Selecting Local Mail Exchanger will PREVENT the situation where internal emails (i.e emails sent from a user within your domain to another user within your domain) are NOT delivered to Google Apps email addresses.​

So isn't that saying if you select Remote Mail Exchanger then internal emails WON'T be delivered to your gmail account?

Then this superuser.com/a/980457/83124 StackOverflow answer seems to state to use the remote option?

So I'm a little confused.

Can somebody please advise?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick Heinz

Mar 14, 2015
Brasil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
You should keep Remote Mail Exchanger selected.

Local Mail Exchanger will try to deliver all messages into the server. As your customer are using GSuite, so none email should be delivered locally.

Keeping Remote Mail Exchanger selected, when a domain in the same server send a message to example.com, the server will consult MX records in order to deliver the message. If Local is selected, when a local domain send a messagen, the server will bypass the MX configuration and will try to deliver it locally.

gutterboy

Jun 22, 2015
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks Patrick.

Local Mail Exchanger will try to deliver all messages into the server. As your customer are using GSuite, so none email should be delivered locally.
I did want to note however that I don't have customers, I am just a user of cPanel who has a VPS which houses several domains, however this is the only domain I have setup to use GSuite - not sure if that changes things?

fidividi

Feb 15, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks Patrick.

I did want to note however that I don't have customers, I am just a user of cPanel who has a VPS which houses several domains, however this is the only domain I have setup to use GSuite - not sure if that changes things?
You could just set the Automatic option under Home »DNS Functions »Edit DNS Zone. As long as your MX record on the cPanel server is set to point to GSuite, then the automatic detection should pick up remote mail exchange as the option.