Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED Trying to understand mail exchanger

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by gutterboy, Jul 6, 2018.

1. gutterboy

gutterboy Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have just set up my domain with GSuite so handle my domains email and have followed this guide: Set up MX records for G Suite and Gmail - G Suite Administrator Help

But I'm not 100% sure what I set the Mail Exchanger to, from what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, but as I see it...

For examples sale, say my domain is: example.com and thus...

Local Mail Exchanger basically means that IF someone from the same domain, say fred@example.com sends an email to brad@example.com THEN, instead of this mail being sent off to gmails mail servers and THEN back again, the server just sends it straight over instead of going through gmails servers?

Remote Mail Exchanger means that ALL mail will go through gmails servers regardless of who sent it.

Is that about right?

However, this page hapaweb.com/google-apps-how-to-set-up-dual-delivery-on-cpanel/ seems to state that:

Selecting Local Mail Exchanger will PREVENT the situation where internal emails (i.e emails sent from a user within your domain to another user within your domain) are NOT delivered to Google Apps email addresses.​

So isn't that saying if you select Remote Mail Exchanger then internal emails WON'T be delivered to your gmail account?

Then this superuser.com/a/980457/83124 StackOverflow answer seems to state to use the remote option?

So I'm a little confused.

Can somebody please advise?

Thanks!

#1 gutterboy, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2018
  2. Patrick Heinz

Patrick Heinz Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You should keep Remote Mail Exchanger selected.

Local Mail Exchanger will try to deliver all messages into the server. As your customer are using GSuite, so none email should be delivered locally.

Keeping Remote Mail Exchanger selected, when a domain in the same server send a message to example.com, the server will consult MX records in order to deliver the message. If Local is selected, when a local domain send a messagen, the server will bypass the MX configuration and will try to deliver it locally.

3. gutterboy

gutterboy Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Patrick.

I did want to note however that I don't have customers, I am just a user of cPanel who has a VPS which houses several domains, however this is the only domain I have setup to use GSuite - not sure if that changes things?

4. fidividi

fidividi Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could just set the Automatic option under Home »DNS Functions »Edit DNS Zone. As long as your MX record on the cPanel server is set to point to GSuite, then the automatic detection should pick up remote mail exchange as the option.

5. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @gutterboy

Both suggestions here are correct, if you want to send/receive mail through GSuite (which is sounds like you do) then the MX Detection should be set to either remote or Automatic, as long as the MX record is remote Automatic will pick up that it's remote.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. gutterboy

gutterboy Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Great - thanks!

7. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @gutterboy

You're most welcome, please let us know anytime you have questions!

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...