Turkish characters appear as question marks

pars

Nov 21, 2020
Turkey
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello forum,

On cpanel turkish characters appear as question marks. Does cpanel support turkish chacarters? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there!

When certain characters aren't being displayed properly, this is often an issue with the character set of the database the site is using.

You may want to see if your database is using the UTF8 character set using the details here:

If you make that switch, and that does indeed resolve the issue, you can apply that change permanently with these steps:

Let me know if that helps!

pars

Nov 21, 2020
Turkey
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thanks a lot for your reply.

>Once loaded, select the database you want to modify from the left side.

The problem is that I don't know which database to modify. I have 10 of them.

I would understand if you cannot help with that.

Hey there!

When certain characters aren't being displayed properly, this is often an issue with the character set of the database the site is using.

You may want to see if your database is using the UTF8 character set using the details here:

If you make that switch, and that does indeed resolve the issue, you can apply that change permanently with these steps:

Let me know if that helps!

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The database you would need to choose would depend on the site's configuration. For example, if this is a Wordpress site, you would open the wp-config.php file located in /home/username/public_html to see what the configuration details there are. I would expect each site to have a similar configuration file that lists the database connection details.

pars

Nov 21, 2020
Turkey
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thanks a lot.

In wp-config.php file I see:

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
define( 'DB_CHARSET', 'utf8' );

This would support turkish characters no? It doesn't apparently.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That line would indicate that any new databases would be created with UTF-8. However, it wouldn't apply that value to existing databases. You'd want to check your Wordpress database using the steps I outlined above to ensure that is in place on the active database.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That does look correct, so I would expect that to work. It may be best to put in a ticket so we can access the server directly and see what the issue is. If you do that, please post the ticket number here so I can follow along, and then I can update this thread with the resolution.