The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn off FTP server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rumor, Dec 19, 2005.

1. rumor

rumor Member

Is it possible to turn off the FTP server completely? I only want people to use SFTP/SCP to transfer files.

I tried disabling FTP through Service Configuration -> Service Manager in WHM by unchecking the FTP box. But, after clicking save it stops the service, but then I get warning emails about ftpd not running; and after reboots, ftpd still starts up.

Right now, I'm working around by adding users to /etc/ftpusers to disable access, but it seems like just disabling the service might be a better way to go. Any suggestions?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Make sure that you untick both of the boxes for FTP in WHM > Service Manager. You don't way which FTP daemon you are running, but if it's pure-ftpd then you can prevent startup on boot with on Linux with:

chkconfig pure-ftpd off

3. rumor

rumor Member

Thanks for the hint about chkconfig! Proftpd is no longer starting up on reboot.

Strange that WHM doesn't do that automatically.

4. TheDood

TheDood Member

It's bad that it dosn't on startup... You want it to startup on boot...

Thanks Chirpy for the solution, I've needed to use this to turn ON my FTP on boot. Hehehe.

Thanks again.