The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

turning off notices of spam or virus mails sent

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by wkdwich, Jul 1, 2005.

1. wkdwich

wkdwich Well-Known Member

I hope that is descriptive enough!

Exim by default will send a notice to the FROM address of incoming spam and virus mails. On my old server I could opt to turn this off.. I belive the option might have been inside mailscanner that I ran on the Cobalt RAQ but I;m not sure.

My mail queue is constantly filled with these notices that are being sent to nonvalid user names@ some domain .com

Where oh where can I find the option to stop these notices from being sent from cpanel/exim???

2. nisse

nisse Well-Known Member

Exim by default doesn't do anything with spam and virus mails.

3. wkdwich

OK great.. so which service is sending these you sent a spam or virus notices???

4. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Try this one...

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=14455

#4 nickb, Jul 2, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2005
  5. wkdwich

Nick.. thanks I saw that one a long time ago already and it's not really doing what I want..

mail arrives into the server
    FROM is forged as a valid user on the system
    runs thru clamAV and Spamasaassin and one of them decides this is not an accepable mail.
    the MTA.. and again I don't know exactly when this happens, who's job it is.. sends a notice to the forged FROM address you sent a spam/virus

Another variation is simliar to what this other post refers to..

someone somewhere is sending virus/spams that are forged with a FROM of a valid user of my server
    this mail arrives at XX server, where it is checked and decides it is not acceptable, and replies with a notice stating so: the mail you sent could not reach the desired user for YY reason/was spam/was a virus
    that is the mails this other post is filtering..

I want to stop MY server from sending those notices in the first place..

IMHO I think those notices of you sent a spam/virus are a total waste of bandwidth.. 99.999% of the time the FROM was forged.. until the MTA can determine the TURE origination and bounce it back THERE, then sending those notices are useless..