The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turning off the logging of 404.shtml in error_log

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by craigedmonds, Sep 26, 2013.

1. craigedmonds

craigedmonds Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Can someone please tell me how to stop these errors being logged into usr/local/apache/logs/error_log?

[Thu Sep 26 13:34:08 2013] [error] [client 37.59.67.192] File does not exist: /home/philotra/public_html/404.shtml, referer: http://www.pillipinos.com/wp-login.php

When I am tailing the log there is far too much "noise" from the entries and its not really needed.

There are 550 sites on the server and i do not want to go and put a 404.shtml file into each of the either.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Are you attempting to disable logging the occurrences of a file not existing? Or, are you attempting to ensure the custom 404 pages are in place for all accounts?

Thank you.

3. craigedmonds

craigedmonds Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I need to "mute" the logging for the 404.shtml files for my sanity as there are so many its really difficult to see whats going on in the usr/local/apache/logs/error_log

The alternative would be to "force" 404.shtml file I guess but I dont want to overwrite peoples custom 404 error pages, is there a way to do this?