The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turning off unwanted services.

Discussion in 'Security' started by DigiCrime, Aug 29, 2011.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime Well-Known Member

I was messing with a vanilla installation of linux before a Cpanel install and I had noticed a significant difference in load after looking at this Linux Default Services Which Are Enabled at Boot I turned off what was suggested here. I don't remember if xinetd is needed but I think it is... anyways from this list of things anything here Cpanel specifically relies on?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello DigiCrime,

Please provide a complete list of what specifically was disabled to make it easier for us to know which set items without going through the entire list of what they do and do not recommend. Once we have the full list here on what was disabled, I would be happy to indicate if any are actually required by cPanel.

Thanks!

3. DigiCrime

See attachments. I know sql/named is off this can be turned on so ignore that one. This is for my vanilla linux box it runs apache with cgi/php and OpenVPN. The load on this thing was 2+ after turning off all of the material that I dont need it now runs at .03 if that. Out of these services what is required for "cpanel"

I think what was on by default was the filesystem services, ip6tables, acpid, anacron, xfs, xinetd I forgot what all else. I know rsync is needed for backups

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    When you install the OS in preparation for cPanel, you're only to do a minimal installation. Not sure what purpose this thread serves if cPanel is not installed on the server.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Other than MySQL and named, which you already mentioned, as well as rsync, the only others that might be considered are nfs and portmap if you have any plans on using those. Also, xfs filesystem in place of another type of filesystem (again, if you are considering using that).

xinetd is not required by default on cPanel machines. Here's my VPS test node where xinetd is not enabled or being used:

Code:
    root@host [~]# chkconfig xinetd --list 
    error reading information on service xinetd: No such file or directory

root@host [~]# whereis xinetd
    xinetd: /etc/xinetd.d

root@host [~]# ps aux | grep xinetd
    root     29841  0.0  0.0   6040   612 pts/1    S+   09:07   0:00 grep xinetd
    Thanks!

6. DigiCrime

Nope, not using the filesystems, just needed clarification. Thanks Tristan.