Turning off unwanted services.

DigiCrime

Nov 27, 2002
I was messing with a vanilla installation of linux before a Cpanel install and I had noticed a significant difference in load after looking at this Linux Default Services Which Are Enabled at Boot I turned off what was suggested here. I don't remember if xinetd is needed but I think it is... anyways from this list of things anything here Cpanel specifically relies on?

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello DigiCrime,

Please provide a complete list of what specifically was disabled to make it easier for us to know which set items without going through the entire list of what they do and do not recommend. Once we have the full list here on what was disabled, I would be happy to indicate if any are actually required by cPanel.

Thanks!

DigiCrime

Nov 27, 2002
See attachments. I know sql/named is off this can be turned on so ignore that one. This is for my vanilla linux box it runs apache with cgi/php and OpenVPN. The load on this thing was 2+ after turning off all of the material that I dont need it now runs at .03 if that. Out of these services what is required for "cpanel"

I think what was on by default was the filesystem services, ip6tables, acpid, anacron, xfs, xinetd I forgot what all else. I know rsync is needed for backups

Thanks

Attachments

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Other than MySQL and named, which you already mentioned, as well as rsync, the only others that might be considered are nfs and portmap if you have any plans on using those. Also, xfs filesystem in place of another type of filesystem (again, if you are considering using that).

xinetd is not required by default on cPanel machines. Here's my VPS test node where xinetd is not enabled or being used:

Code:
[email protected] [~]# chkconfig xinetd --list 
error reading information on service xinetd: No such file or directory

[email protected] [~]# whereis xinetd
xinetd: /etc/xinetd.d

[email protected] [~]# ps aux | grep xinetd
root     29841  0.0  0.0   6040   612 pts/1    S+   09:07   0:00 grep xinetd
Thanks!

DigiCrime

Nov 27, 2002
Nope, not using the filesystems, just needed clarification. Thanks Tristan.